Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Postby Mozenrath on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:44 pm

I just bought a Zotac card with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 GPU. It seems great, except when I look at the clock speed in the Nvidia settings, it says that it's at performance level 3 with a graphics clock speed of 549 Mhz. This seems rather low, since the card is supposed to have a clock speed of up to 993 Mhz. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to increase the clock speed somehow?
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Postby yellu on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:20 am

I have the same GPU (MSI GTX 660 TF) and the same problem. Nvidia Control Center under Windows tells me the card has a graphic clock of 1032 Mhz and a memory data rate of 6008 Mhz. nvidia-settings under linux tells me 549 Mhz graphic clock and 3004 Mhz memory clock.

I am confused.. can anyone explain what is happening?
yellu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Postby Mozenrath on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:26 pm

From the little information I could find, apparently it could be that the clock speed isn't being reported properly, but supposedly the clock speed should be fine.

For some reason, I can't just trust that assumption. :? It's too bad you can't overclock newer Nvidia cards under linux, because then I could just set it to the proper clock speed and all would be good.
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors