Radeon X1800 XT

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Radeon X1800 XT

Postby winstonsmith1984 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm new to Linux. I've had Mint 14 installed for three days. So far I like it a lot. I was able to figure out how to format and setup a second internal hard drive and configure a backup schedule. That wasn't terribly difficult although slightly confusing. My Creative Labs Audigy ZS just worked right from the OS install. That was awesome! The one thing that has me puzzled, however, is the video card. i read the ATI sticky post so if I understood that thread correctly I'm simply screwed on ATI drivers for my card? I have a Radeon X1800 XT (AGP). This used to be an XP machine and that cards performance on XP was pretty decent. Totally usable. On Linux it certainily works but not so great. I realize I'm not using an actual ATI driver but instead it's uses the bundled video driver with Mint, (X.Org R300 - Gallium 0.4 ver 2.1 Mesa 9.0)

I checked the Radeon site and found Linux drivers for this card but from what i read in the sticky on ATI cards, these drivers from the Radeon site do not work with the latest release of Mint. Even if it did work I have no idea how to install a .run file anyway.

So, my question is am I stuck with this built in driver if i use this video card? From what I could pick up from the sticky thread it looks like I am. And, if I have to use this built in driver, is there any hope that future releases of Mint will have built in support for the X1800?

I realize I may be asking a question that has been asked before but the sticky thread had lots of technical jargon I don't yet understand coming from a Windows environment and when I searched for radeon x1800 it looked like I might be the first person here with one of those.
winstonsmith1984
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors