The problem of overheating!

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

The problem of overheating!

Postby tau.qwerty on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:39 am

At first, I will have to admit that regardless of distribution I always had an overheating problem. For instance, at Ubuntu it was a constant problem. At Linux Mint my laptop had to shutdown by itself because of the summer heat which was quite a shock for me! Windows 7 is working fine though which led me to believe that it's a graphics card problem. I searched a lot but to no avail -I got really confused.

Especially after I went to All Settings > Details -under Linux Mint- and saw the Overview near graphics saying: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV710, my suspicions seemed to be justified because I think that I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series (as Windows 7 informs me).

1) How can I make Linux Mint more lightweight? Change DE for instance? Can that help?
2) Do you know how to install the correct drivers? I don't understand that part very much because I am new to Linux, but I want to learn!
3) I think that flash player and pdf contributes to the problem. Is this just a graphics card problem or I have to do something else?
4) From your experience do you have any suggestions to make? I like Linux Mint very much -not the same thing can be said for Ubuntu though- and I want to have a stable Linux OS so as to become a more advanced Linux user. I would even like to contribute to software development for Linux Mint especially, so I will pay much attention to all your comments!

Thank you for your time!
tau.qwerty
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors