NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Graphics Card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GRIMASON

NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Graphics Card

Post by GRIMASON »

Hi,
I have a Dell Dimension 4600i that has a Geforce FX5200 Graphics card in it.
Have installed Linux Mint Mate 14 (Nadia) 32bit, it appears that the Mint Display Manager (MDM) is currently running the card, snag is with one particular program that is run via terminal mode I keep getting the following error message.
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nouveau.so: cannot open shared object file
:No such file or directory.
So tried installing via sofware manager the following;
nvidia settings
nvidia-current
nvidia-common
nouveau-firmware
and yum.
this appeared to cure the above error however generated the following error;
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (no such file or directory)

so I next downloaded the Linux-NVIDIA driver set and after firstly removing uninstalling the above packages due to a X-driver conflict then stopping the MDM ran the setup only then to find out that I now needed either Kernel-source or kernal-deve1 rpm files.
As I have no clue at all about what is required I exited that and got MDM running again is it's back to square one.
I have only been using Linux about 3 months so please give a step by step answer and please do Keep it Simply simple.
Oh and that answer is not discontiune using the program, thats not an option currently by the way. lol

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jamesc359

Re: NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Graphics Card

Post by Jamesc359 »

The FX5200 is a very old card and doesn't support VDPAU. You'll have to choose a different video output. I'm assuming this software is mplayer? If so try mplayer -vo help for a list of video outputs. Give each one a try with mplayer -vo <output>. e.g. mplayer -vo x11

If you find that you absolutely have to have VDPAU for video decoding you'll need a better video card. Looking at Wikipedia it'd seem an NVidia Geforce 6600 is the best option for an older AGP Motherboard (which is what I believe you've got.)
GRIMASON

Re: NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Graphics Card

Post by GRIMASON »

Hi,
Thank you for that peice of information concerning my Graphic Card, juding by the number of others that have looked at my post i suspect that there may be others out there that have the same issue.
In my case the issue is not to do with a video player, however i will advise the programers of the program i am using that in my case there is no real easy software fix only hardware and thus the issue is not going to go away in a hurry.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”