Cannot set brightness

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chazzers

Cannot set brightness

Post by Chazzers »

My screen brightness is set too high by default, and I cannot find any way to change it. The "Brightness and Lock" section in Settings does not have any brightness options. It just has options for turning off the monitor and screen lock. If I enable the Brightness applet it just says "Brightness not available".

I see some people have used step 1m here, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813 . However, my /sys/class/backlight folder is empty.

I am using a desktop PC with an AMD card, with Nadia-Cinnamon. I am using the default (open source drivers).

Does anyone know a solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
QuotidianMe2

Re: Cannot set brightness

Post by QuotidianMe2 »

Chazzers, are you sure there's nothing in the "Brightness and Lock" area. In mine there's what looks like a green line immediately beneath the word "Brightness," and it's a slider. Below is a pic with the slider button moved to the left a bit.
Screenshot of Bright.png
I'm afraid I can't be any more help than that. Looking at the number of posts about this problem (I have the same problem), it's not entirely uncommon. :?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Cannot set brightness

Post by roblm »

Chazzers wrote: If I enable the Brightness applet it just says "Brightness not available".
The Brightness applet is only for laptops. Otherwise the brightness slider in Brightness and Lock does not show up. If you had an Nvidia
graphics card, then I could help you better. After installing a proprietary Nvidia driver, a settings utility is installed along with a configuration
file that allows you to adjust the brightness level, however, it is a little tricky. Perhaps if you installed a proprietary AMD driver a similar settings utility would be installed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”