Hi there, I would very much appreciate some help with this vexing little issue. Thank you for any insights anyone has.
This is a fresh install of Mint 14 64 bit on a Sony Vaio laptop VPC-Y115FX.
The only thing not working is the brightness of the screen. It is stuck at 100%
The Fn keys pop up the indicator showing the brightness adjusting, however the brightness does not actually change. Likewise with the "Brightness and lock" dimmer. It moves but nothing changes.
I have tried the other solutions involving:
1. i915.modeset=0 after quiet splash in grub [kills xserver, does not work]
2. xserver-xorg-video-intel is already installed
3. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_backlight=vendor" (disabled the "brightness and lock" slider and my Fn keys, but did nothing to adjust brightness)
4. xbacklight did nothing at all
5. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=force" [does nothing]
6. tried installing the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver from https://launchpad.net/~glasen/+archive/ ... er=quantal
[result is no different]
I have not yet tried adding this to xorg.conf as I'm trying to figure out how to do that since it appears to not exist...:
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
Here is the output of inxi -Fxz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: firstname.lastname@example.org
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
System: Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.2)
Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine: System: Sony product: VPCY115FXI version: C9000NF4
Mobo: Sony model: VAIO Bios: INSYDE version: R0230H1 date: 05/13/2010
CPU: Dual core Intel CPU U7300 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 5187.44
Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
The lspci output is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)