NVIDIA GeForce 310m, issues and is it worth replacing?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zh2013

NVIDIA GeForce 310m, issues and is it worth replacing?

Post by zh2013 »

Hi all,

I have recently installed Linux Mint (the latest version. 14?) onto my laptop, which now dual boots between Windows 7 and Linux, however I intend to use Linux the majority of the time. My reasons for installing was Windows was becoming slow and cluttered and my laptop, an ASUS 53jc model, was performing much slower than I knew it was capable of, so I cleaned out and optimised Windows and installed Linux in an attempt to keep Windows clutter free and speedy for the few situations I require it.

I have to say I am very impressed with Linux Mint, it is sleek and fast, everything Windows isn't. However I have ran into some issues regarding my graphics card (which suffers from well known problem with Optimus technology under Linux). In Linux Mint I have no sound via HDMI into my TV and also, to my eyes, the image output to my TV seems washed out and not as sharp as it is under Windows (maybe a resolution problem?). This is problematic as my main intention was to eventually get a large external HDD and make use of XBMC and set up a pseudo media centre. Is this problem down to the optimus technology? I have successfully installed bumblebee and I am familiar with optirun and this works fine on my actual laptop, with my laptop having sound through the internal speakers. My main question is, is the sound issue easy to fix, or would it be beneficial to have a new non-NVIDIA graphics card installed? I can accept the lack of full cinnamon integration due to the graphics card, this isn't an issue for me, but the lack of sound via HDMI certainly is.

Also, I have tried going into ALSA mixer and unmuting SPDIF and setting the port to HDMI 0 via gstreamer-properties, this results in me being able to hear the test tone from gstreamer from my TV, but still no sound from applications and still no option to change my sound output to the television via Linux Mint's sound settings.

I apologise if this topic has already been covered, I have spent a couple of hours searching for a fix, but I am currently knee-deep in University coursework, so haven't had the time to investigate as fully as I would have liked to be able to. Any help is massively appreciated.

Many thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zh2013

Re: NVIDIA GeForce 310m, issues and is it worth replacing?

Post by zh2013 »

Anyone?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”