Create Xorg.conf?

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Create Xorg.conf?

Postby MtnDewManiac on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:03 am

Hello,

Laptop uses the Radeon (radeon?) driver. OLD RS200 (IGP340M) graphics, so I believe this to be the correct (only) driver for it. But out-of-the-box graphics performance seems terrible (as in, "It's far better in Microsoft Windows XP." :roll: ). I have been trying off and on for the past few days to improve things.

Today, I installed Mint 14 Xfce again. Have only run the Update Manager (updated itself, then installed a bunch of other updates), then installed the Xfce 4.10 & 4.12 PPAs in order to bring the desktop and Xfce apps (Thunar, et cetara) up to being current. I do not believe the latter step will be an issue, if so I can re-reinstal Mint 14 Xfce and wait to update Xfce until later. Other that and some web browsing in Firefox, this is a fresh install.

I found a web page - I believe it is having to do with SUSE Wiki - that discusses changing some options in order to increase the performance of my graphics. In order to do so, I need to edit my xorg.conf file - only there isn't one. I tried the other day to create one. I seem to have been doing it wrong.

Can someone walk me through creating this file?

Thank you,
MDM
---
Mint 17.1 Xfce 4.12.
If the fact that my post is longer than a standard SMS message causes you to be unable to take meaning from it, do not blame me for something that is either the fact of the school teachers you had or the sludge between your ears.
MtnDewManiac
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors