Create Xorg.conf?

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Create Xorg.conf?

Postby MtnDewManiac on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:03 am

Hello,

Laptop uses the Radeon (radeon?) driver. OLD RS200 (IGP340M) graphics, so I believe this to be the correct (only) driver for it. But out-of-the-box graphics performance seems terrible (as in, "It's far better in Microsoft Windows XP." :roll: ). I have been trying off and on for the past few days to improve things.

Today, I installed Mint 14 Xfce again. Have only run the Update Manager (updated itself, then installed a bunch of other updates), then installed the Xfce 4.10 & 4.12 PPAs in order to bring the desktop and Xfce apps (Thunar, et cetara) up to being current. I do not believe the latter step will be an issue, if so I can re-reinstal Mint 14 Xfce and wait to update Xfce until later. Other that and some web browsing in Firefox, this is a fresh install.

I found a web page - I believe it is having to do with SUSE Wiki - that discusses changing some options in order to increase the performance of my graphics. In order to do so, I need to edit my xorg.conf file - only there isn't one. I tried the other day to create one. I seem to have been doing it wrong.

Can someone walk me through creating this file?

Thank you,
MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user running 64-bit Mint 17 XFCE.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors