No Graphics Drivers & Monitor Only Mirroring

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattkickbox

No Graphics Drivers & Monitor Only Mirroring

Post by mattkickbox »

I installed Mint 14.1 64bit with cinnamon and I'm trying to setup my monitor as a second display. Currently it will only mirror the display. Searching the web, I found similar issues resolved by installing some nvidia-current and an nvidia setting app. After installing these, my menu bar was changed and it didn't fix the monitor problem. Not sure what graphics card this laptop has, it probably isn't nvidia (I think it is Intel), but in the Details it shows no info for graphics card.

So can someone help me...
1) Determine what graphics cards I have & drivers to install, and
2) Configure the monitor for dual display (probably can take care of this myself if graphic driver issue is solved).

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: No Graphics Drivers & Monitor Only Mirroring

Post by catweazel »

Type this into a terminal and post the output, wrapped in code markers, which can be selected from the panel just above where you type your reply.

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jmcrawfordjr

Post by jmcrawfordjr »

I've been having the same problem with a different setup so I'm adding my information to this thread rather than creating a new thread with the same name...

Both of my monitors are working but they seem to only mirror each other. I've tried to install the driver recommended on the AMD site. The install seems to work but when I type "amdconfig" I get:

amdconfig: No supported adapters detected

Which is odd since the AMD site recognized my card and recommended this driver...

Here is the output of inxi -Gx:

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Bonaire XT [Radeon HD 7790] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati,vesa (unloaded: fbdev,fglrx,radeon) Resolution: 1280x1024@0.0hz
GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A

I'm not hugely concerned about 3D or fancy graphics -- if I want to run games I'll use Windows. I'll be happy if I can get dual monitors working for software development.

Any help would be appreciated since I've now been working on this for several evenings with little to show for it.

Thanks.
jmcrawfordjr

Post by jmcrawfordjr »

I did find a solution to this problem (at least for HD 7790 graphic cards) so I wanted to post a quick summary in case anyone else is seeing the same issues.

For open source drivers I never found an option for the HD 7790 that supports a non-mirroring dual headed display. If anyone knows how to do this I'd like to find out since I'd rather use open source drivers if possible.

For proprietary drivers there is a new driver from AMD at: [url]http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/RadeonHD7790CatalystPerformanceDriver.aspx[/url]. It supports Windows and Linux. However, it only supports Ubuntu up to 12.10. To make it work I had to switch back from Mint 15 to Mint 14. Once I did that the install went smoothly.

The only other issue I found was that I was never able to set up the dual headed display using aticonfig. I was getting a lot of strange behavior where I had two screens but the mouse was 'trapped' on one of them. I had much better luck with the Catalyst setup tool (installing the AMD driver adds this to the settings menu). Other than the annoyance of having to reboot before settings take effect it's easy to use.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”