Dual Monitor Setup

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Dual Monitor Setup

Postby squinky4 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:16 pm

I recently updated to Linux Mint 14 on my laptop and am having difficulties getting my external monitor working. My laptop has a usb docking station that the VGA monitor plugs into. I cannot figure out how to get both monitors working at the same time as I previously had with Linux Mint 13. Currently I can have the laptop monitor OR the external monitor on, but not both at the same time.

Xorg.conf:
Code: Select all
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "multihead"
    Screen 0 "usbscreen" 0 0
    Screen 1 "vgascreen" LeftOf "usbscreen"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier          "Keyboard Defaults"
    MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
    Option              "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "Xinerama" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "vgacard"
    Driver "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "usbcard"
    Driver "fbdev"
    Option "fbdev" "/dev/usbvideocard"
    # The option above requires a special udev rule in /etc
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "vgamonitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "usbmonitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "vgascreen"
    Device "vgacard"
    Monitor "vgamonitor"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 16
        Modes "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "usbscreen"
    Device "usbcard"
    Monitor "usbmonitor"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 16
    EndSubSection
EndSection


I use to have

Code: Select all
Driver "fbdev"


as this

Code: Select all
Driver "displaylink"


But apparently the display link driver was removed... what can I do to get both my monitors working? Does fbdev support dual monitors, from previous research I did not think it did. I have also tried setting the BusID option for each device, but was unsuccessful.

ETA: I do get a green screen on my external monitor when I'm not using the fbdev driver.
squinky4
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Dual Monitor Setup

Postby dizmoduck on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 am

I have the same problem with my Zenbook ux31a with the docking station.
All other extrension works except the HDMI and VGA.

My workaround it that a make a little script the you the miniHDMI on the laptop

I make this little script so it will use the miniHDMI output to my 2nd screen

I'm running LM 14 Cinnamon out of the box

don't now it it's help

------------- start cut ----------------
#!/usr/bin/env sh
#
# you need to logon before running the script
# remember to change the value so they mash you 2nd monitor
#
xrandr --newmode "1680x1050_60.00" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087 -HSync +Vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA1 "1680x1050_60.00"
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode "1680x1050_60.00"
------------ stop cut -------------------
---
Venlig Hilsen / Kind Regards
/dizmoduck

- live your dreams, don't dream your life
dizmoduck
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:40 am
Location: København M(almö) AKA Malmö Sweden

Re: Dual Monitor Setup

Postby squinky4 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 am

dizmoduck wrote:I have the same problem with my Zenbook ux31a with the docking station.
All other extrension works except the HDMI and VGA.

My workaround it that a make a little script the you the miniHDMI on the laptop

I make this little script so it will use the miniHDMI output to my 2nd screen

I'm running LM 14 Cinnamon out of the box

don't now it it's help

------------- start cut ----------------
#!/usr/bin/env sh
#
# you need to logon before running the script
# remember to change the value so they mash you 2nd monitor
#
xrandr --newmode "1680x1050_60.00" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087 -HSync +Vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA1 "1680x1050_60.00"
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode "1680x1050_60.00"
------------ stop cut -------------------


I don't believe this will work for my setup, xrandr does not detect the monitor I have plugged into the USB docking port.
squinky4
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: Dual Monitor Setup

Postby baddison on Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

squinky4 wrote:
I don't believe this will work for my setup, xrandr does not detect the monitor I have plugged into the USB docking port.



Was wondering if the original poster every got resolution to this issue. I am currently experiencing the same problem. I have a small 13" Lenovo X301 laptop that has no output for connecting any kind of monitor. I am using the Lenovo 2.0 USP Port Replicator with Digital Video. But when I connect the port replicator, there is no video to the external monitor. Everything else on the port replicator works, ie: the CAT5 connection, and the additional usb connections. But there is no video what soever. I have checked System Settings and it only shows one single display - that of the laptop. My video drivers are upto date, Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller. Pressing FN+F7 does not switch graphics.
'
Can anyone tell me what my next steps are to get this working?
User avatar
baddison
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: Dual Monitor Setup

Postby squinky4 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am

baddison wrote:Was wondering if the original poster every got resolution to this issue.

I ended up re-installing LM13...
squinky4
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm


Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kaurango and 1 guest