Lockscreen Artifacts with fglrx Drivers

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Lockscreen Artifacts with fglrx Drivers

Postby FuRrY321 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Hello, I'm a longtime Ubuntu user that has, in the past, tried many different distributions. I decided that I needed a break from Unity for a while, though I may eventually go back to Ubuntu.

However, in the meantime, I've decided to go to Linux Mint, as I like Cinnamon and Mint is close enough to Ubuntu that it's easy to get everything I need...

...which is why the fact that I can't see my lockscreen with the fglrx drivers enabled is bugging me so.

I recently noticed that there was a lot of video tearing, which is when I realized that I had forgot to install the proprietary drivers, which is one of the things I do after every new distro install. So, I went and installed them, and restarted to enable Tear-Free Desktop in the Catalyst Control Centre. However, now, even though videos no longer tear, every time my computer locks - whether from being inactive or me putting it in sleep mode - the screen starts glitching like crazy, with the text enter box all the way to the right and cut off, while the error messages when I incorrectly type my password being cut off to the left. Artifacts galore cover the screen in between. Just now in fact a very brief flash of a diagonal line of grainy boxes appeared on my screen, with the GNOME 3 bar flashing up top. Does Cinnamon run on top of GNOME 3, or is just the lockscreen from GNOME 3? Also, after that happened Banshee quit by itself silently. Dunno if it's related, but worth mentioning.

I even tried changing the driver from fglrx-updates to fglrx, but haven't restarted yet. Problem still occurs.

Edit: A recent update (to which program in particular I know not) seems to have corrected the problem. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but this marks the third consecutive time the screen has locked and no artifacts have appeared. (Actually I just locked the screen again and still fine so four times now.)
If another week goes by and the problem does not reappear, I will mark as Solved.
When I look at the stars, all I see are balls of gas. When I look at the sun, which is a ball of gas, my eyes burn. So why don't my eyes burn when I look at the stars?

Christian, furry, brony, and tech geek. Wheeeeee~!
FuRrY321
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors