Flash video and graphics problem Intel 865 Mint 15 MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cokol

Flash video and graphics problem Intel 865 Mint 15 MATE

Post by Cokol »

Hi guys, hope you can help me. Posted this on Spanish forum before but no help.

I have this weird video "glitch" in all flash graphics and videos. No issues in Mint 14 KDE, I really don't know where to look.
I uninstalled/reinstalled/updated flash player plugin from repos and from adobe's site.

I have a Integrated Intel 865 chip, and tried to install official intel drivers but there's no support for mint...

This is my original post, there are some screenshots.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=136188

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
serenanoir

Re: Flash video and graphics problem Intel 865 Mint 15 MATE

Post by serenanoir »

Any word on this one? I am dealing with the same thing.
Keith.A
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keith.A »

Any updtaes on this?

I also have installed Mint 15 (Mate) and have this problem on an HP d530 with Intel 865G graphics chip set.
gopher38
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gopher38 »

Anyone get a fix for this? I too have a D530 (not sure which video card). Just migrated from Ubuntu to Mint 15, and I have two issues: this same video problem and no sound. If any of the previous posters found an answer, please come back and let us (me) know. Thanks.
gopher38
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gopher38 »

For anyone else who has this problem, HP D530 w/ Intel 865 card, I found the solution. It's on another post somewhere - perhaps on a different site; I can't remember - but it should be easy to find. Search for "Linux Intel 865G video color problem". I thought that this had to do with a bad version of Flash, which I wasted a lot of time investigating. Turns out that Mint thinks the DefaultDepth for your screen is 16, and you have to explicitly set it to 24. You have to create an xorg.conf file, add "DefaultDepth" to the screen definition, and then move the xorg.conf file to a certain position ("/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d" if I remember correctly, but I don't have that computer here). Anyway, google should find you the correct post. Good luck.
Locutus of Borg

Post by Locutus of Borg »

The problem described by Cokol (at the top) may be explained, and fixed, by understanding the video acceleration modes. There are two modes, UXA and SNA. UXA is the older, more mature mode. SNA is the faster, newer mode, but it's less stable. If you have the onboard Intel 865G integrated graphics like Cokol, you need to be in the UXA mode.

Trouble is, Linux selects the SNA mode by default (as of Aug 2013), which completely screws up adobe flash-based videos (regardless of browser) running on the older Intel graphics hardware like 82865G (and others). It fools you, though, because the rest of the system looks like it's working OK. But it's not.

The "fix" is to get your system booted up in the UXA acceleration mode. In order to do that, you have to write a little configuration file, and save it in the right place. The following steps fixed my Dell 170L graphics, and now instead of green and purple mish-mash, I see beautiful, smooth video.

Open the Terminal, and type "gksu gedit" [enter]. It will ask for your password; type it, then press [enter].

In the text editor that pops up, enter this exactly as shown:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Save the file in /etc/X11 with the name "xorg.conf". Exit both the text editor and the terminal, and restart your computer. You should now see the correct video, in an acceleration mode the 865G understands.

If for some reason this doesn't work for you, just delete the xorg.conf file you just created, and you'll be right back where you started before saving the configuration file.

Ref page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics
...see "Choose acceleration method", and "Corruption/Unresponsiveness in Chromium and Firefox".

Ref also this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2195590&page=2

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”