X Server: unable to detect

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby sheds on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:13 pm

Hello there.

I went through the installation steps on several threads related to the ATI 9200 SE, but so far, no luck. I keep getting the following message:

Detected configuration:
Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

I have installed almost everything i can find with apt's search, from xserver-xorg to xorg related packages. The output of the Xorg -version says that it's a pre-release, version number X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.4.1

Any ideas!?
sheds
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: X Server: unable to detect

Postby 67GTA on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:59 pm

To help narrow down the possibilities, what install methods have you tried?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 67GTA on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 pm

I just checked and your card should be supported by the xorg-driver-fglrx package in the repos. You should be able to install it using Envy. Without knowing what you've tried already, and what modules you've got loaded, it is hard to say what will work at this point.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sheds on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:47 pm

I understand your point. But i've gone through many commands, the last one being downloading the .run file from ati itself, so it's kinda hard going back that far. Either way, i'll give this envy thing a shot, which i don't recall trying out. I'll be sure to write down this method so if something goes wrong, i'll be able to point out the steps i performed.

Thanks so much.

To not repost, i have tried the envy thing, and it threw a very interesting message:

EnvyNG - Version 1.1.1
Ubuntu Hardy 32bit
Your graphic card has been detected as a ATI Radeon 9250
Your graphic card is supported by the legacy Driver
EnvyNG ERROR: ATI's legacy driver does not support your operating system

It seems the legacy driver is not supported with Elyssa Mint.
Last edited by sheds on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheds
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:02 pm

Envy is installed by default. It is in the menu. It should install and configure it for you. If you have trouble with Envy, just post back, and we will try to run down the problem. It looks like the error you posted was from trying to install the driver from the ATI site. We won't have to worry about it since it didn't install. I used to fight with the ATI drivers all the time before I switched to Nvidia.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sheds on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:30 pm

Yeah, this computer used to run on nvidia, but i bought another computer and had to get the ATI working. Not to repost, just look at my previous post. Thanks a lot!!!!

Ok, i installed the ATI driver using Envyng from the GUI, so i restarted and the computer came back up saying that it's running without any drivers, in other words. Interesting thing is that i was running slow, mint was running really slow, now it's fine, but no drivers yet.

I am getting a bit confused, cause running from the console, i was told that the legacy drivers are not support with my version of OS, on the other hand, running envy through the GUI says that it works, but when restarting the computer, it goes back to "big icon" mode, kinda like failsafe with no drivers.
sheds
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sheds on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:44 pm

I tried the manual option with envy, but when rebooting, it tells me that Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode. Now, i read somewhere about envy, that it does not support Elyssa Mint yet. Is this accurate? How should i go about installing my card drivers then?
sheds
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Envy supports Mint. When you reboot, and it tells you that it is running in low graphics mode, it should have a "configure" button. Use that to set your graphics card/monitor. It should be fine after rebooting.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sheds on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:17 pm

Well, the configure part did not work either. I tried and tried with all the possible combinations, but couldn't get it running. Now, as i was passing through a bunch of tutorials, there was one that mentioned that Elyssa does not support the legacy drivers for my card. Now, i also downloaded the installer from ATI itself, and that's the reason for my initial thread, "X Server: unable to detect", i am guessing i need to roll back to 4.0? Or is there another way to get my drivers installed?

Thanks in advance for all the help. :wink:
sheds
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:52 am

It sounds like the driver is installed, but the new xorg is giving you trouble. Did Envy give you any error messages? You might also need to run
Code: Select all
sudo aticonfig --initial
in a terminal, and try rebooting before you give up. Another possibility would be to boot up your Daryna CD, and copy your xorg.conf file to use in Elyssa. The problem most people face now is that xorg.conf has been reduced to a reference file. The new xorg uses dbus and hal to detect your hardware at each boot. It also uses xrandr to detect your monitor. If any piece of your hardware isn't supported or detected correctly, then it's hard to get it set up because xorg tries to overwrite everything at the next boot. If you are one of the lucky ones that have hardware/monitor that's properly detected, you can actually run without a xorg.conf file.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sheds on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Well, i have managed to get the resolution to be a bit bigger, by removing the xorg.conf file. But now the computer moves way to slow, and even sometimes i get caught up when listening to music when I flip through windows and when opening apps. I believe that it would be better to downgrade back to 4.0. Perhaps my card is a bit too old now to work with the drivers provided by Elyssa.

I got a question though: how come i can download the driver itself provided by ATI, and i can't get it installed? Specifically getting the error message 'X Server: unable to detect'? I do have X running, otherwise I wouldn't have an GUI, would I? I even installed a lot of packages related to xorg and X from the repositories with apt. I suppose the real question is: what do I need to install before running the driver installer? Packages of course.

Thanks a lot.....
sheds
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:47 pm

sudo apt-get install build-essential
and try installing the driver from ati again.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby achilleus on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Hello there my friends

I have the same problem with linux mint elyssa and a radeon 9250. I just can't bring this card to work properly with linux mint. I've tried to install the ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run and i got the same message as "sheds". also envy didn't work..--> same errormessage as "sheds" had.

i just followed your latest answer and ran the command
sudo apt-get install build-essential

but it didn't work either...

thats what i got.. again just like before:
./ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run
Creating directory fglrx-install
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.28.8....................................................
-e ==================================================
-e ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
-e ==================================================
Detected configuration:
Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install
achilleus

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors