Hybrid graphics – Nvidia Optimus - general information

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
comerer

Hybrid graphics – Nvidia Optimus - general information

Post by comerer »

Hello,
can some one please explain the main differences between different linux solution with hybryd graphics.

The options that exist:

- The most popular solution – bumblebee
As I understand this option will disable the Nvidia graphic card and will leave working only integrated intel graphic card. In case of the need to use the power of Nvidia graphic card, Bumblebee giving possibility to execute manualy applications with the command optirun that will force the use of of Nvidia graphic card.

- Nouveau drivers
(this one didnt really understood – will it turn off the Nvidia card only or it is also swapping autuomaticaly between them?)

Can someone please suggest if their is a solution with automatic swap between Intel card and Nvidia?

Thank you in advance!

Details about system:

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon
Asus Laptop X450CC

1. Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
2. Nvidia Geforce 720M

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.5 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau,intel Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes

Code: Select all

lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)
What is the best solution with those details?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryu945
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hybrid graphics – Nvidia Optimus - general information

Post by Ryu945 »

I have tried for going on to two weeks to get a Nvidia Optimus GT 740M working and stumping every one in every technical support channel along the way. I have not found a single person that has ever had success with that graphics card. From what I heard one person say, it is not a fully functional graphics card at this time and they are still working on getting everything working on it though I have not heard anyone else say this. Here is some information I have uncovered about it.

To get it somewhat working with proprietary drivers, you can use either the nvidia-319 or nvidia-331 in the software repository(xorg edgers PPA has nvidia-331). You will also need nvidia-bumblebee, bumblebee and primus. After installing these, you will need to reboot the system. By default, you will not use these drivers. if you want to use the nvidia card and not the intel drivers, you will have to put optirun in the launch command for it. Here is an example of what I mean.

A link to a game like LoL would look like this.

env WINEPREFIX="/home/<your log in name>/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/<your log in name>/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/Play\ League\ of\ Legends.lnk

But to use the nvidia drivers you need to change it to look like this.

env WINEPREFIX="/home/<your log in name>/.wine" optirun wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/<your log in name>/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Desktop/Play\ League\ of\ Legends.lnk

Note: Most commands that look at what graphics card you have will not see the nvida card unless you use optirun. There is another command that allows you to use nvidia graphics card called primusrun. I have not fully tested it as my time as been trying to get 32 bit programs to work but nvidia proprietary drivers may work fine for 64 bit programs. Good luck and tell me if you figure anything out.

edit:

Solution here: forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=157681&p=815674#p815674
Cin 21.3 64 Bit
According to Keith Chuvala, who manages Space Operations Computing for NASA, "We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable-one that would give us in-house control.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”