problem with resolution, sis672 graphics on mint 16 x64

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monorojo

problem with resolution, sis672 graphics on mint 16 x64

Post by monorojo »

hi all, (I do not speak English, I'm using the translator) I have a problem with the resolution of my laptop, I can not put it in 1280x800, is an old laptop with graphics sis672 mirage 3, the OS is mint 16 "mate" of 64bits, the laptop has core2Duo T7100 processor and 1GB ram 667. Everything works great excepting this, I request your help to put the resolution to 1280x800, thanks

pd: i find this guide http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&p=676192 but it puts the monitor at 1280x768 and some things do not look good, I would put it on 1280x800, it is possible, greetings and thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
baldrick.777

Re: problem with resolution, sis672 graphics on mint 16 x64

Post by baldrick.777 »

Hi monorojo,

Sorry to say that Mint16 isn't supported. Infact, it appears SIS doesn't support any linux distros at all! However, I found this, which apparently works for Mint13. Mint13 is an LTS with support until April 2017.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sis

So, it would appear you would need to make a fresh install of Mint13 and remove Mint16 for your SIS video card to work.
baldrick.777

Post by baldrick.777 »

More of an edit...

I tried the work around above, and it worked a treat on Mint13 MATE!
I also tried it on Mint13 Cinnamon, but even in software rendering mode (2D) it was pretty much unusable.

This workaround works for 2D systems, but is pretty much useless with 3D systems. Hence Mate and xfce versions of Mint work well and Cinnamon doesn't.

So, until the manufacturers decide to support Linux, this is pretty much the only workable workaround. Having said that, Mate is very customisable, and Mint 13 Mate is supported until April 2017.

All the best!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

SIS does not manufacture computer hardware anymore, they also stopped maintaining the Windows drivers for their hardware. There will not be a new version of the drivers anymore. Users of 67x and 77x hardware can use Mint 13 with the driver already provided by baldrick.777.
Older SIS graphics than 67x and 77x chipsets is unsupported, i.e. it probably only works in some fallback mode, using Cinnamon is not recommended, and some resolutions may be missing.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”