"Failed to start X server" error after using sgfxi

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
locke456

"Failed to start X server" error after using sgfxi

Post by locke456 »

So, I have a Dell Latitude E6530 with a Geforce 5200M installed, and I've been running Mint 15 Cinnamon on it for a long time with no real problems. The other day I got it into my head that I'd like to be able to use Steam on Linux and actually use real Nvidia drivers to do so. I've had trouble installing Nvidia drivers with Mint in the past on other computers, but this was remarkably easy. I installed sgfxi, ran it once, restarted as the prompts in the script told me, ran it again, and voila, instant Geforce. At least for the current session.

Every time I restart my computer since, I get a "Failed to start X server" error and a blank screen. I can use ctrl+alt+F2 to get to a terminal prompt, and if I do that I can easily run sgfxi again, reinstall the drivers, and boot right to the desktop from the script without even restarting. Everything works fine, inxi recognizes my Geforce drivers, etc. If I log out and log back in, the Nvidia drivers stay in place. If I reboot or power off and then start back up, the X server message comes back up and I have to reinstall the drivers again. The only error I see in the X server logs is "fatal error: no screens found," just below the message "screens found, but none have useable configuration."

I'd like to be able to get to the point where the Nvidia drivers actually stick after a reboot if at all possible. I've tried various methods of blacklisting noveau, thinking that might be the problem, but I haven't seen any difference. Same with a few tweaks I saw suggested in other threads regarding edits to the xorg.conf file. Any suggestions on how to get things up and running would be appreciated. Or, alternately, suggestions on how to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and then reinstall them using a method that isn't sgfxi. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Previous1

Re: "Failed to start X server" error after using sgfxi

Post by Previous1 »

inxi/sgfxi is pretty broken. I've seen a few reports too many on it breaking X (myself included).

Revert the nvidia drivers in inxi, remove inxi itself (it has an uninstall option), as well as /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you or inxi created blacklisting files (eg in /etc/modprobe.d) check and remove where appropriate.

You can find relatively new drivers on Xorg edgers:

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
locke456

Re: "Failed to start X server" error after using sgfxi

Post by locke456 »

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually just gave up last night and reinstalled Mint, as most of my "local" files are just on Dropbox anyway, so it's a relatively quick process to get set back up again.

This is the third time something like this has happened with sgfxi on various computers of mine, so yeah, I think you're right that it's more trouble than it's worth. I've seen it described as a "miracle script" in other threads and with my relative lack of knowledge of Linux I thought it would help me get functional Nvidia drivers installed, especially now that Steam for Linux is taking off a bit more. But it really just mucks things up more with each go-round.

Any other recommendations for threads/methods for installing Nvidia drivers?

Maybe I should just resign myself to dual-booting into Win7 whenever I feel like playing a game...

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”