Difficulties installing AMD drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cappycappy53

Difficulties installing AMD drivers

Post by cappycappy53 »

What I am trying to do: I am trying to wean myself off of Windows 100%.

My Equipment:

Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
Ram: 24gb DDR3 1600
SSD: Force 120gb
HDD1: 500gb
HDD2 200gb
GPU1: Radeon HD4870 x 2
Cooling: CPU and GPU's water cooled.

What I need to do so that I can use my hardware:

Need to be able to monitor all parameters including temperatures.
Need to be able to overclock the CPU
Need to be able to overclock the GPU's (Note both GPU's are on one board)
Need to be able to crossfire a second HD4870 x 2 (2nd board is on the way)
Need to be able to use multi monitors (3 or more)

To start the journey I have been using Mint 16 for over 3 months and I am trying to use the terminal as much as I can (it's difficult for a hunt and peck typist)

I have found gkrellm to monitor some of the parameters (specially the temps)

Some time ago I was able to install an AMD proprietory driver, but after reinstalling the OS I cannot for the life of me get a driver installed now. My memory tells me that it was not that difficult, but my recent experience tells me otherwise. I want to be able to have the full use of the AMD software so I can overclock and use multi monitors. If there is software in Linux that would allow me to do all that then I would use it. However I do not know where to find it.

I have tried to work through a forum entry titled: “Linux MINT 15-amd fglrx Proprietory Driver installation” but after several hours had to give up. I then tried following the instructions on “Working Radeon Driver (Hybrid) for Mint 16” with no joy. I have been only wanting to work with recent entries because I have just heard that AMD fired all of their driver programmers and hired new ones. Apparently the latest drivers are supposed to be much better.

Once I have my video sorted out I will want to know how to set up a RAID array. But that is not my immediate problem.

Please help me get this driver installed. I have spent too much time on this, but now realize I can't do it.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Difficulties installing AMD drivers

Post by Mark Phelps »

AMD dropped restricted driver support for their HD 2x/3x/4x-series cards last summer; today, you're restricted to using the open-source Radeon driver -- which is installed by default. I don't believe that driver supports overclocking or crossfire.

The latest Mint version that does support the AMD fglrx drivers and your card is Mint 13. You would have to go back to that version to get the driver support you want.
cappycappy53

Post by cappycappy53 »

Thank you, I guess I can stop knocking my head against the wall. Does this mean that I must uninstal Mint 16 and then install Mint 13?
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Does this mean that I must uninstal Mint 16 and then install Mint 13?
IF you want to use the restricted drivers from AMD, yes. Those won't work with any Mint version newer than 13.
cappycappy53

Post by cappycappy53 »

Do I need to go to a different forum or can you tell me how I uninstall Mint 16?
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

cappycappy53 wrote:Do I need to go to a different forum or can you tell me how I uninstall Mint 16?
Basically, you don't Uninstall an OS; instead, you overwrite it.

Problem is, you won't be able to keep anything from your current install.

You can boot from the Mint install media and choose the option to use the entire drive -- that will overwrite what you have now.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”