Nvidia broken packages?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
briwayjones
Level 2
Level 2

Nvidia broken packages?

Post by briwayjones »

I'm a newb so hopefully I can explain this well enough with enough information that you guys even know what I'm talking about.

I tried through driver manager to change my graphics driver from the recommended nvidia-319 drivers to the nvidia-319-updates (which has worked fine in the past). I didn't get any kind of error messages or anything but it seems like it failed. Maybe because I was running too much stuff while trying to update it. Like a virtual machine and other programs. :roll: On reboot x-server failed and it booted to just a command line.
Using these instructions after some googling I was able to get it to boot back into a low graphics mode.

sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia-319*
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-319*
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo update-grub
sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-319
(this command never worked, it always said nvidia-319 wasn't installed which makes sense to me since I uninstalled it?)
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo reboot

After this it would reboot into low graphics mode using the x-server-xorg drivers. I then in driver manager changed to the recommended nvidia-319 (nvidia-319.32) drivers which then works after a reboot. If I then try to change them to the nvidia-319-updates (nvidia-319.60) x-server fails to boot and I'm back to where I was before. In the past the 319-updates have worked fine.

Throughout the whole process whenever trying to install drivers I would also see an error that the nvidia-319 drivers package were not configured properly. It would be an error mentioning the "dpkg" command saying use it to configure the drivers. But I could never figure out how to do that properly. So it seems like that might be the ongoing issue with this now?

I hope this made enough sense that somebody even knows where to start to help. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nvidia broken packages?

Post by Flemur »

$ sudo dpkg --configure package_name

If you're getting "broken packages" messages, in synaptic (I prefer over command line for this stuff),
$ sudo synaptic
Then synaptic-> Edit -> Fix broken packages
You may need to do it more than once.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
briwayjones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by briwayjones »

Flemur wrote:$ sudo dpkg --configure package_name

If you're getting "broken packages" messages, in synaptic (I prefer over command line for this stuff),
$ sudo synaptic
Then synaptic-> Edit -> Fix broken packages
You may need to do it more than once.
I didn't get any broken packages messages in synaptic. Only in the command line with it saying they weren't configured properly. I did do the Fix broken packages on the nvidia drivers in synaptic. I don't know if it did anything though.
briwayjones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by briwayjones »

I still have not been able to resolve this. And it complains about this error while trying to install drivers for other components.

Here's examples of the errors regarding the NVIDIA drivers I always get. This is the output after I ran the sudo aptitude safe-upgrade command. I was following the directions in this in post #2 trying to resolve it. But it didn't seem to work.

Code: Select all

The following partially installed packages will be configured:
  nvidia-319 
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
Setting up nvidia-319 (319.32-0ubuntu7) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-319/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in auto mode
update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib/XvMCConfig because associated file /usr/lib/nvidia-319/XvMCConfig (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
INFO:Enable nvidia-319
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad
Removing old nvidia-319-319.32 DKMS files...
/usr/lib/dkms/common.postinst: 155: /usr/lib/dkms/common.postinst: dkms: not found
dpkg: error processing nvidia-319 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-319
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up nvidia-319 (319.32-0ubuntu7) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
INFO:Enable nvidia-319
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad
Removing old nvidia-319-319.32 DKMS files...
/usr/lib/dkms/common.postinst: 155: /usr/lib/dkms/common.postinst: dkms: not found
dpkg: error processing nvidia-319 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-319
Also notice the "Warning: No support for locale: en_US.utf8" error. I tried fixing that follwing what it said in this thread but it didn't work.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”