Graphics card & monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asksqn

Graphics card & monitor

Post by asksqn »

Using Linux Mint 14 on a Dell Latitude D620 dual boot system with Win 7 on the other partition.
External 17 inch Samsung monitor connected
NVIDIA G72 M Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300 graphics card

Although the laptop screen displays correctly, the display on the external monitor is stretched vertically. I didn't want to install another driver and f*ck up the laptop display, however, I would like the external monitor to display correctly, not stretched vertically. Is it possible to have the correct display for both monitors?

Second question, and may be related to the external monitor issue, the OS locks up and the laptop overheats inexplicably. Is this due to the external monitor and/or incorrect video driver?

Although both these issues have been discussed elsewhere, none of them address my particular situation.

Thx for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Graphics card & monitor

Post by Kalyk »

Hi and welcome,

As you just joined the forum, are you new to Mint?
If so, why start with Linux Mint 14, it is out of support.
If you want the Long Term Support version then better use Linux Mint 13 (stable, another 3 years support) or wait a few weeks for Linux Mint 17 (5 years support after somewhere in June probably).
And if you want the current then Linux Mint 16 is what you need.

Second question: What version did you choose?
Most choose either Cinnamon or Mate.
In Cinnamon when going to the Control Center and choose Display, do you see both monitors?
If so, I suppose they are not set to Mirror Displays?
Then when you click the monitors can you set their individual resolutions?
If not, did you look under Administration-Driver Manager to look if there is a manufacturers driver for your video card?
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

I saw in your other post that you have a problem with flash and stuff.
That can also be explained by the out-of-support status of the Mint-version you have chosen.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
asksqn

Post by asksqn »

As you just joined the forum, are you new to Mint?
If so, why start with Linux Mint 14, it is out of support.
If you want the Long Term Support version then better use Linux Mint 13 (stable, another 3 years support) or wait a few weeks for Linux Mint 17 (5 years support after somewhere in June probably).
And if you want the current then Linux Mint 16 is what you need.

Second question: What version did you choose?
Most choose either Cinnamon or Mate.
In Cinnamon when going to the Control Center and choose Display, do you see both monitors?
If so, I suppose they are not set to Mirror Displays?
Then when you click the monitors can you set their individual resolutions?
If not, did you look under Administration-Driver Manager to look if there is a manufacturers driver for your video card?
Hi Karl, I'm new to Mint, but not Linux. I started with v. 14 Cinnamon 64-bit just because when I ran the live demo of the 16 Cinnamon using the dual monitor setup, Mint didn't like it and the display immediately became distorted on both laptop & external monitor. I figured I'd be safe with an older version of Mint.

As to display, it detected both monitors and it is in fact set to mirror display, but it gets, for lack of a better word, wiggy. The laptop inexplicably overheats and locks up to the point where I have to do a cold reboot. I don't know if this is due to the graphics driver, the out of support OS, or something else. (I haven't tried messing with individual monitor resolutions but will try.)

Even when I unplug the external monitor the laptop still overheats in Mint. I found a discussion on using an internal temperature controlling software but have not installed it.

When I installed Mint, I just used whatever graphics driver the update manager found. (not sure if it's the proprietary driver or not and I didn't want to mess with it since the laptop display was fine.)

I just want a version of Mint to work on this laptop. It is a 64 bit system with only 1 gig of RAM but Mint is not the RAM glutton that Windows 7 is. It just overheats and doesn't like the external monitor.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

I would try Linux Mint 13, is more stable and LTS.
And I searched for problems with that version and only found there sometimes were issues with audio, never do I read about heating or something.
asksqn

Post by asksqn »

I would try Linux Mint 13, is more stable and LTS.
And I searched for problems with that version and only found there sometimes were issues with audio, never do I read about heating or something.
Thanks. I think the overheating issue may be with the graphics driver as it is using the "nouveau-pci-0100" under lspci. I also noticed the temp is always 95 F & above when I query sensors in terminal so there may be something to using the proprietary driver. Also, I just installed TLP to control the temp inside the laptop and it is noticeably cooler by approx twenty degrees so that's something, I guess.

The only concern I have about using v. 13 is for the wifi driver. That was a big concern since I specifically researched it before I installed Mint. And even after I used update manager to update the OS after installation, I specifically used terminal to sudo apt-get the broadcom driver to ensure that it worked.

Also, I'm not sure I can live with audio issues in v. 13. So other than the above referenced issues I have described, and the fact that v.14 is not supported, how long do you think I can get by with Nadia?
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk »

TLP sounds interesting, is it just called tlp in the software?

With Linux Mint 16 you had some issues, but did you also try installing that with the manufacturers drivers?
And if that didn't work well enough you might try updating the kernel (I use the procedure at http://www.upubuntu.com).

And when all else fails, wait about a month and try Linux Mint 17.
If that works then you are ready for 5 years.
asksqn

Post by asksqn »

TLP sounds interesting, is it just called tlp in the software?

With Linux Mint 16 you had some issues, but did you also try installing that with the manufacturers drivers?
And if that didn't work well enough you might try updating the kernel (I use the procedure at http://www.upubuntu.com).

And when all else fails, wait about a month and try Linux Mint 17.
If that works then you are ready for 5 years.
There are apparently three tools to reduce overheating and extend battery life. Jupiter was the best for the Linux desktop but development was stopped so now there are TLP >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP and CPUFREQ >> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CP ... cy_Scaling.

I'm going to mess with individual resolutions and try updating the kernel and anxiously wait for Mint 17. Thx for your help.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”