(Solved!): Install Nvidia Drivers on Optimus System

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Install Nvidia Drivers on Optimus System

Post by JeremyB »

Have you tried any of the other drivers from nvidia. I think some nvidia drivers needed patched before they would work with the 3.13 kernel.

A search shows 337.12 should work
Sandman007
Level 1
Level 1

(Solved) Install Nvidia Drivers on Optimus System

Post by Sandman007 »

Sweet! So I figure dout the isse for real this time! For what ever reason the ATI drivers were installed along with the Nvida drivers. I removed the ATI and now everything works. My question is how did the ATI drivers get installed? I certainly did not install them myself. Driver Manager only listed Nvidia Drivers.I think just doing an update/upgrade on my system installed these at one point. Bug?
clfarron4

Re: (Solved) Install Nvidia Drivers on Optimus System

Post by clfarron4 »

Sandman007 wrote:My question is how did the ATI drivers get installed?
Not a bug. Default Ubuntu (hence all Ubuntu derivatives) installations install most of the Open Source drivers for most of the major hardware manufacturers in order for the "out-of-the-box" installation to work.
Sandman007
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: (Solved) Install Nvidia Drivers on Optimus System

Post by Sandman007 »

clfarron4 wrote:
Sandman007 wrote:My question is how did the ATI drivers get installed?
Not a bug. Default Ubuntu (hence all Ubuntu derivatives) installations install most of the Open Source drivers for most of the major hardware manufacturers in order for the "out-of-the-box" installation to work.
Right but I don't have an ATI card. When I was on Ubuntu 14.04 it NEVER installed anything ATI related. Because i do not have an ATI card in my system. I think that this can cause confusion. Most people know to that you are supposed to uninstall the open source drivers before installing proprietary. But with that said most people are NOT going to think to look for open source drivers for a card they don't even own to uninstall. ATI drivers NEVER should have touched my system period. This is what caused my Nvidia driver to fail in the first place. Once again this doesn't happen in Ubuntu.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: (Solved!): Install Nvidia Drivers on Optimus System

Post by JeremyB »

I wonder why an ATI driver was installed, did the hex(i think that is right) code for manufacturer and device match your hardware from the ATI driver? I haven't had to use any propitiatory drivers yet but does the terminal command modinfo (module) say anything about the hardware supported like modinfo i915 does?
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

In all of the installations of Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Manjaro and a large number of other releases of Linux I've used, the one's that install a complete X environment in their default releases (so, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, Manjaro, ArchBang, countless others) have installed all of the Open Source drivers by default and let X work out which one you should be using, because hardware detection during the installation process doesn't always get it right.

Having all these drivers available (without having to download them all and install them manually) if you are using a portable hard installation of such releases of Linux is a treat.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

debian

Code: Select all

zerozero@home ~ $ dpkg -l | grep xserver | egrep '(ati|nouveau|intel)'
ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati                 1:7.3.0-1+b1                        amd64        X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
ii  xserver-xorg-video-intel               2:2.21.15-2+b1                      amd64        X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau             1:1.0.10-1+b1                       amd64        X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver
among others.
Sandman007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sandman007 »

OK I see now guys. I guess the ATI driver being on the system is normal. But it shouldn't get activated just because I removed the nouveau driver

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”