Driver for AGP Board

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abitlost

Driver for AGP Board

Post by abitlost »

I have just Loaded Linux Mint 16 as a dual boot on my old XP machine Asus K8N-E board AMD Sempron Processor 1Gb Ram with NVidia GeForce FX5200 AGP Card - It freezes shortly after boot up. Reading around I suspect it's something to do with the graphics card driver. I am a complete novice on Linux and struggle to understand it. Any suggestions please :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Driver for AGP Board

Post by roblm »

Go to the GRUB boot menu and select “Recovery mode”. If no menu shows then hold down the Shift key while starting. In the
Recovery mode menu select “resume normal boot”.

Open Driver Manager and install the Nvidia-173.14.39 driver if it's listed. If it isn't, then open the Terminal and type this command to
add the PPA (personal package archive) xorg-edgers to your software sources:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa && sudo apt-get update

Then check Driver Manager again for that driver.
abitlost

Post by abitlost »

Did as instructed could only find 173.14.37 which was recommended even after downloading repository. Screen has random blocks and mini icons all over the place and system runs like a snail :(
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You will have to download the driver from Nvidia's website. Use this link:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Then follow my updated instuctions in my second post on page 2 of this topic, under the section “NVIDIA DRIVER ALREADY
INSTALLED”:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154932

If this doesn't work well, then you could consider installing Mint 17 RC. I'm still not sure if your video card is powerful enough to work
with Mint 16 or 17. I'm hoping that this newer driver provides better support and performance. The GeForce 5 FX series is at the
borderline. I have an older computer with a Sempron 3 Ghz processor and a GeForce 6200 video card. With Mint 14 I was able to do
the installation but there were graphical glitches in the menu. Surprisingly, In Mint 17 the menu displays correctly and there is less
slowdown. Does Mint 17 handle system resources better or is this from the newer Nvidia driver or both.
abitlost

Post by abitlost »

Completely hashed it up! Have just reinstalled LinuxMint and after 6 or 7 RESUBs its running quite slowly but apparently stable with the 'nouveau' driver. Still only has the ~.37 in Driver Manager and when I tried it it went haywire again but was able to switch back to nouveau. Will have another go at downloading the ~.39 package. I am new to all this and wonder why there isn't a sudo apt-get package that combines all the various commands and just runs or am I being naive - I 've had alot of practice I'm 66!
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

abitlost wrote:Completely hashed it up! Have just reinstalled LinuxMint and after 6 or 7 RESUBs its running quite slowly but apparently stable with the 'nouveau' driver. Still only has the ~.37 in Driver Manager and when I tried it it went haywire again but was able to switch back to nouveau. Will have another go at downloading the ~.39 package.
I assume the downloaded Nvidia-173.14.39 driver didn't work in Mint 16? Then you installed Mint 17? Why were 6-7 reboots necessary?
abitlost wrote: I am new to all this and wonder why there isn't a sudo apt-get package that combines all the various commands and just runs or am I being naive - I 've had alot of practice I'm 66!
The simplicity you're asking for is already present in Driver Manager, where installing the nvidia driver only takes one click. If you only had a newer video card.

You may have to use Mint Mate or Xfce.
abitlost

Post by abitlost »

No ~.39 didn't work but that could be because the install was unstable. I have put 16 back on - as for the resubs I don't know why - it just seemed to hang then after a resub get a little better then hang again until after about 7 it stopped hanging and has been running steadily for about 3hrs. As for the newer card- like I said I'm using my old machine with the intention of giving it a new lease of life post XP and doubt it could support a more modern card but then that would defeat my objectives
abitlost

Post by abitlost »

Finally downloaded and installed ~.39 still ran badly. Decided my machine isn't up to Cinamon and tried Mint 17 Mate which ran easily and well from DVD. My question now is- Is there a straightforward way of replacing one Mint install with another from an iso DVD? The option doesn't appear to be offered
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

I'm not sure if this answers your question but when you decided to install Mint 16 to dual boot with Windows XP, then at the installation screen you either chose the option “Install Linux Mint alongside them” or “Something else”. I always choose “Something else”, and then set up a separate root, home, and swap partitions. The picture below shows this with Windows XP and Mint Cinnamon already installed:
Installation3.png
My next computer build with 4 GB of RAM won’t have a swap partition. Even now with 2 GB RAM, I've only seen swap used once in 16 months, for only a small amount, while running System Monitor. If you use hibernate, then I would keep the swap partition. Also, I would make the root partition at least 10 GB now.

If I was going to install Mint Mate to replace Mint Cinnamon, and I was keeping the same partition sizes, then I would highlight /dev/sda3, the root partition, and click “Change”. The window below then opens:
Installation2.png
In the “Use as:” line, select “Ext4 file system”, select the “Format the partition” box, and in the line that says “Mount point”, select “/” (root).
Then I would repeat those steps with /dev/sda6, the home partition, but for the line “Mount point”, I would select “/home”.
Then click “Install Now”.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”