LM17 & Nvidia Optimus question.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steviejay

LM17 & Nvidia Optimus question.

Post by steviejay »

I used the driver manager to install the Nvidia-331.38 0ubuntu7 driver. All was well to start with but after a reboot I found that it had broken the theming capabilities. The window borders were chunky, similar to what they're like when running the file manager as root, and the icon theme reverted to basic Gnome. Attempting to reset everything with System Settings>Themes>Other Settings had no effect. Reverting back to the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau driver I was able to put everything back the way it was.

Am I missing something?

Qianna Cinnamon 64

TYVMIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cappycaffeine

Re: LM17 & Nvidia Optimus question.

Post by cappycaffeine »

I had the exact same problem. Also lost theme for Nemo. The sidebar was light gray instead of brown and the highlight of the breadcrumbs reverted to gnome.

I was able to fix the problem by logging in as another user, deleting the .config, .gconf, .gnome2, .cinnamon directories in my main user account and then relogging in to recreate the default settings and config files.

However: I then noticed that GTK themes were shot as well (Libreoffice, etc). I then installed gtk-chthemes to switch back to Awidata to restore those settings.

I have no idea how or why things got corrupted, but I guess the take home is that we should install the NVIDIA drivers before we add any regular users.. I guess we could create a "TEMP" user on initial installation, install the NVIDIA drivers, and then create regular users.. Sloppy workaround and I am surprised this appears to be common.

I had installed the "331" drivers and not the "304" drivers and have no idea if this would have happened with "304"

Cappy

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”