Default brightness to persist

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UrbanSatyr
Level 1
Level 1

Default brightness to persist

Post by UrbanSatyr »

I'm running Mint 17 Cinnamon 64, onboard intel graphics. The laptop boots up with the brightness set to max and it's chewing up my battery when I forget to turn it down. The brightness buttons work on the keyboard as does the settings in the System Settings Power menu but when I reboot it goes back to full brightness (while leaving all the other settings as I had them set). Is there a way to get this to persist on reboot? I want it to start at 50% but allow me to adjust it higher or lower depending on my preference and have it reboot back to 50% each time, regardless of previous settings.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Default brightness to persist

Post by JeremyB »

UrbanSatyr wrote:I'm running Mint 17 Cinnamon 64, onboard intel graphics. The laptop boots up with the brightness set to max and it's chewing up my battery when I forget to turn it down. The brightness buttons work on the keyboard as does the settings in the System Settings Power menu but when I reboot it goes back to full brightness (while leaving all the other settings as I had them set). Is there a way to get this to persist on reboot? I want it to start at 50% but allow me to adjust it higher or lower depending on my preference and have it reboot back to 50% each time, regardless of previous settings.

I can make that happen

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness
Take the number that is returned and divide by 2, whole numbers only, don't use .5 if the original number happens to be odd

gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
Add this and substitute X for the number you have

echo X > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
Be sure this line is above the line that says exit 0 or it won't work
Save file, close gedit and reboot
UrbanSatyr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Default brightness to persist

Post by UrbanSatyr »

Nope. Still loads at full brightness.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Default brightness to persist

Post by JeremyB »

UrbanSatyr wrote:Nope. Still loads at full brightness.

ls /sys/class/backlight
Or we could add an option to grub.

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
find the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line that has quiet splash inside quotes and add

video.use_native_backlight=1
save, exit gedit, and

sudo update-grub
and restart