[Solved] Hardware 3d acceleration on Virtualbox

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altae

[Solved] Hardware 3d acceleration on Virtualbox

Post by altae »

I am running LM 17 Cinnamon 64 bit on a Windows 8.1 host using Virtualbox 4.3.10 r93012. Everything used to work flawlessly until today when I suddenly got the message that Cinnamon is running in software rendering mode. 3d acceleration is enabled in Virtualbox, the guest additions are installed and I have not changed my Virtualbox configuration since the initial creation of the virtual machine and the installation of LM 17. I keep LM 17 up to date using apt-get dist-upgrade so the latest packages are installed. My guess is that I one or more packages that where updated during the last few days have caused this sudden malfunction but being still a Linux noob I have no clue where to start my search. Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
domaine72
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hardware 3d acceleration on Virtualbox

Post by domaine72 »

read this topic, you need to download and update the VBoxGuestAdditions (and your virtualbox too since is an old version)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 88#p871253
altae

Re: Hardware 3d acceleration on Virtualbox

Post by altae »

Thanks, this has fixed the problem :)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”