[FXD] LM17 MATE x64: glitches with NVIDIA proprietary driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ru_maniac

[FXD] LM17 MATE x64: glitches with NVIDIA proprietary driver

Post by ru_maniac »

Hello there.

I've just installed fresh instance of Linux Mint 17 MATE, and since I recently bought Geforce GTX750 Ti, I decided to install NVIDIA's proprietary driver for it.

The issue I'm experiencing is that when I try to minimize any window which using direct rendering through OpenGL (basically, it's anything - Chrome, Steam, VLC with hardware accelerated decoding), it's minimizing, but I've chunks of active area of the application all over the place - for instance, when I'm minimizing VLC, frame disappears, but the video area without any margins stays where it was, constantly blinking, glitching and flickering. The same trouble I've with Steam and Chrome, with glitches and flickering all over the screen.

I did my homework and googled extensively, and I've found out that users on ubuntu 14.04 are having the same exact issue, but according to their discussion, they believe that it's Compiz bug is what causing these glitches and flickering. But as far as I understand, MATE edition of Mint has no pieces of Compiz in it whatsoever.

As for other GTK apps which do not use any acceleration - everything seems to be fine, no glitches or anything like that.

My configuration ATM is:

Linux Mint 17 [MATE] 64 bit with latest updates (romeo & backports repos are disabled)
Geforce GTX 750 Ti + latest beta binary driver from NVIDIA (340.17); I did try to install current stable version, as well as some of the old builds, but the issue persists nevertheless

Before you ask: yes, I occasionally play some 3D games, and I don't really believe that noveau is gonna cut it.
Please excuse me if this is known issue and I just should be patient and wait - I googled and found nothing regarding this issue on Mint. I just want some clarification, and if possible - find a workaround, because I can't even surf the internet without constant headache.

[thanks to board' moderator for moving the thread to correct subforum]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ru_maniac

Re: Mint 17 x64 - screen glitches with NVIDIA proprietary dr

Post by ru_maniac »

Alright, I've digged a bit deeper, and found out that it's probably MATE issue - I've no glitches or flickering of any kind under LM17 with XFCE flavour, and under latest Ubuntu as well.
Can somebody please investigate this issue? I really, and I mean REALLY like MATE, and simply unable to live under Unity or XFCE.

So, yeah - bump.
SkepticSarah

Post by SkepticSarah »

I am having the same issue, bump
ru_maniac

Post by ru_maniac »

SkepticSarah wrote:I am having the same issue, bump
Finally, I was this close from thinking that I was the only one.
ru_maniac

Re: Mint 17 [MATE] x64 - glitches with NVIDIA proprietary dr

Post by ru_maniac »

It's hard to imagine that nobody else knows nothing about this issue.
In hope that it'll be helpful - discussion about this bug at ubuntu's launchpad (link).
Also there's something similar described at nvidia's devtalk forum: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... 1/#4128101

I'm completely lost now. Half of internets says it's compositor's issue, another - that it's buggy driver at work. Can somebody clarify, please?
ru_maniac

Post by ru_maniac »

Bump.
Got a confirmation from driver's developer on devtalk that it's probably a driver issue, caused by faulty interaction with X server. He says that fix should be available in the next release.
ru_maniac

Post by ru_maniac »

Updated stable version of NVIDIA's driver with subj issue fixed. NB: it's useless to ask one's help at Mint's forums, for no one will ever reply.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”