Error: "Could not switch the monitor configuration"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pavelkh
Level 1
Level 1

Error: "Could not switch the monitor configuration"

Post by pavelkh »

Sometimes, when I open lid my notebook with Mint 17 cinnamon has the following strange behaviour:
1. After lid open I see black screen with blinking dash in the upper left corner for few seconds, then computer goes to suspend.
2. I can wake up my laptop by pressing on/off button;
3. After it wakes up - everything looks and works allright exept I have window with error "Could not switch the monitor configuration. Could not set the configuration for CRTC 586"

Graphic device info:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce 310M] 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 310M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.38
It is not a big problem and I can live with it. But it would be good to fix if someone knows solution.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DannyMac

Re: Error: "Could not switch the monitor configuration"

Post by DannyMac »

I'm having the same issues as you with the same behavior and error message. Here's my setup:

Graphics:  
Card: NVIDIA GT218M [GeForce G 105M] 
X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce G105M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.38
Oldair

Post by Oldair »

Same problem here. After i suspend my laptop i have to wake it up with the power button.

inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218M [NVS 3100M] X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: NVS 3100M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.113
fernandocabral

Post by fernandocabral »

My problem may or may not be related to the one described above, but they belong to the same category: moving between monitors (displays) and understanding the strange behaviours I see when connecting, disconnecting or activating a second monitor.

I am using Mint 17.1 with cinnamon. When I connect to a TV trough HDMI, I get a unpredictable behaviour. Sometimes the laptop screen freezes and the whole thing moves on to the TV. Then, I can continue using the system, but can not move back to the laptop screen. So I can not go back and forth the two displays. Sometimes the TV will not be recognized, unless I connect the HDMI, turn the TV on and reboot the machine. Sometimes it will allow me to go back and forth, but the icons on the lower bar only can be seen on the TV, not in the laptop monitor. But then, most of them will not work. I click one icon, but activate a different application, as if the icons were one on the top of the other and I can only reach one of them.

But, I am ware that maybe I am the culprit myself, because I don't really understand which rules govern the use of multiple monitors. So, my first question (and for the time being, the only question) is: is there a document that teaches us how to use multiple monitors? If you know, point me one, and perhaps I can figure out what is going on.
pavelkh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pavelkh »

Oldair wrote:Same problem here. After i suspend my laptop i have to wake it up with the power button.

inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218M [NVS 3100M] X.Org: 1.15.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: NVS 3100M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.113
I noticed that all who posted here have the same graphics card...

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”