Mint 14 and Bumblebee

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abishur

Mint 14 and Bumblebee

Post by abishur »

I'm using Mint 14 (It's on a work laptop and I don't want to have to worry about various software no longer working if I upgrade, i.e. VMware and my verizon wireless card). I went to install bumblebee to make use of optimus, but after installing the ppa and doing an apt-get update it gives me an error that it cannot find the package bumblebee. Has quantal been depreciated from their repositories? If so is there a compatible distro name to use so I can use the package manager to install it or do I just need to build it from source?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: Mint 14 and Bumblebee

Post by seeley »

Hi abishur!
Mint 14 is obsolete since May 2014.
Releases:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
abishur

Re: Mint 14 and Bumblebee

Post by abishur »

seeley wrote:Hi abishur!
Mint 14 is obsolete since May 2014.
Releases:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php
Yep. But like I said It's on a work laptop and I don't want to have to worry about various software no longer working if I upgrade, i.e. VMware and my verizon wireless card, which ceased working last time I went to Mint 15 or 16. So here we are :lol:

I was able to get a partial fix though I think. I went into Software Sources, clicked on the Bumblebee PPA I had added, clicked edit and changed the Distribution quantal to precise (which changed it from looking at a repository for Ubunto 12.10 to 12.04 I believe) and the program was found and installed.

Now when I turn on optimus Everything displays correctly and runs like it's supposed to which it wasn't before. On the flip side it no longer shows my nVidia card under additional drivers and command

optirun -vvv glxspheres

fails with the error

Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to assign any connected display devices to X screen 0

Still everything is stable and working so I'm fairly okay with this much progress.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”