Intel HD graphics not detected {Closed}

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shadizzle

Intel HD graphics not detected {Closed}

Post by shadizzle »

Hello all!

Ive been slowly making traction on getting Mint 17 up and kicking, but notice that the laptop I am using is running really hot. Upon research, I thought it was my integrated AMD/ATI card not "switching" to the iGPU/HD graphics on my i5-430m. Following a few guides on the forums to get the AMD CCL installed and running went smooth after a couple flops . Figuring I had it all figured out when I got the CCL up and running, I found my other issue. The intel iGPU is not detected in my system at all, or so it really seems that way. Due to the fact there is no switchable options, along with what the lspci returned with.

I ran the following command: "lspci | grep VGA" and it only lists my AMD card and nothing about the intel GPU. Obviously, I wont be able to do any graphics switching like this. Doing some digging, I went to intels site and was referred to, https://01.org/linuxgraphics. Found the 1.0.4 for linux installer and gave it a go. Immediately fails out over not having a i915 series chipset "so no update needed" (I had a H55 chipset but not sure why that would matter tbh). Sooo, doing some more digging, I cannot seem to find anything that may point me in the correct direction.

Im going to walk away from this for a 20min and let my head refresh! if anyone has seen this before, or could point in the right direction, id GREATLY appreciate it.

Sources:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/202857/c ... s-in-12-10
http://planetoss.com/articles/how-to-di ... -in-linux/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11712781 - note will not work with my card.
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

System:
Mint 17 64bit
Sony Vaio VPC-EB2YFX/BL
CPU: Intel Core i5 430m (first generation Core cpu w/HDgraphics) H55 chipset
Memory: 8GB DDR3-1066
HDD: Intel 180GB 520 series SSD
Video: Intel HD graphics
AMD/ATi Radeon HD 5450m
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shadizzle

Re: Intel HD graphics not detected

Post by shadizzle »

OOOK,

So after looking further into the "i915" errors, I found it has been a problem for some people.

I did find this: http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/s ... hp?t=48904

However, I am not sure if I should proceed with this. Will brick my system if I modify the "grub_cmdline_linux_default" ? Also. learning that most of these drivers are for "ubuntu" only and can/will fail out when the installer does a check. I found a link that gave direction to modify the lsb-release in gedit, however I know that isnt the root issue.

I tried to run the command of: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:glasen/intel-driver, which unfortunately comes back with a 404 error once you run the update again. - sad face....

If you cant already tell, I am def a major n00b who probably has no business touching this OS as I am discovering :( (insert banging head against desk .gif here)

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=145837
http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/s ... hp?t=48904
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p697879
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Post the output of

Code: Select all

lspci
Have you looked in BIOS to see if the intel is disabled? Linux Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 so if you find an Ubuntu fix, it should work on LM

Have you tried manually loading the module

sudo modprobe i915
shadizzle

Post by shadizzle »

JeremyB wrote:Post the output of

lspci
Have you looked in BIOS to see if the intel is disabled? Linux Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 so if you find an Ubuntu fix, it should work on LM

Have you tried manually loading the module

sudo modprobe i915
Hello, and thank you for the response!

I have double checked the bios, however there isnt an option to activate or deactivate the iGPU. I know it works ok by popping my OEM hdd that came with the machine in, running win 7. I can actually manually or set it to auto-toggle between the two (iGPU when on battery ony is how i have it set in windows).

Progress! I went ahead and loaded the i915 module per the command provided (thank you!) and got further! Rather than the intel graphics instller failing right away over not having the i915 loaded. It fails at Distribution check (possibly because I am on mint, and its looking for ubuntu?). Certainly has gotten me closer!!!! :D

Code:
l00py@l00py-VPC ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 05)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev 05)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
03:00.0 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd MMC/SD Host Controller
03:00.1 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5U2xx (R5U230 / R5U231 / R5U241) [Memory Stick Host Controller]
03:00.4 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd MMC/SD Host Controller
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Optima 88E8059 [PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller with AVB] (rev 11)
3f:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
3f:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
3f:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
3f:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
3f:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
3f:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Mobility Radeon HD 5430....

That's an ATI card so installing intel graphic won't help :wink:
shadizzle

Post by shadizzle »

PatH57 wrote:Mobility Radeon HD 5430....

Hello,

Yes I am aware of that, but as stated many times- this system has switchable graphcis. Meaning the CPU (core i5-430m) has its own onboard iGPU on the processor itself. ALONG with a discrete AMD/ATi GPU. As you can see, the system is only seeing/using the AMD card, causing the machine to run very hot, and kill any battery life on this rig. If I can get the intel iGPU to be seen in the system, I feel I can re-gain that ability in linux. It works great in windows, so I know it can work here.

Sadly, I am just very new to the linux world and do not have the proper knowledge to figure this out on my own as of yet.

Jeremey's instructions above have definitely made a little bit of headway. I am now seeing if there is a way I can "fool" the base intel installer to think my machine is "ubuntu" on the installers checksum. (Yes I know mint is built off of ubuntu but the installer throws a disto error).
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi ,

same setup here with a radeon discrte card.
Was running hot (laptop)
until I installed some power management.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tlp tlp-rdw
sudo tlp start

Talked witha couple of people with laptops and discrete cards, seems to ahve fixed the overheating and the fan management...
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Intel HD graphics not detected

Post by JeremyB »

shadizzle wrote:

Hello,

Yes I am aware of that, but as stated many times- this system has switchable graphcis. Meaning the CPU (core i5-430m) has its own onboard iGPU on the processor itself. ALONG with a discrete AMD/ATi GPU. As you can see, the system is only seeing/using the AMD card, causing the machine to run very hot, and kill any battery life on this rig. If I can get the intel iGPU to be seen in the system, I feel I can re-gain that ability in linux. It works great in windows, so I know it can work here.

Sadly, I am just very new to the linux world and do not have the proper knowledge to figure this out on my own as of yet.

Jeremey's instructions above have definitely made a little bit of headway. I am now seeing if there is a way I can "fool" the base intel installer to think my machine is "ubuntu" on the installers checksum. (Yes I know mint is built off of ubuntu but the installer throws a disto error).
The secret to getting the intel installer to work is /etc/lsb-release

sudo gedit /etc/lsb-release
You need to change LinuxMint to Ubuntu, change the name from qiana to trusty, and finally change the version from 17 to 14.04

Save, exit gedit and try

sudo intel-linux-graphics-installer
shadizzle

Re: Re: Intel HD graphics not detected

Post by shadizzle »

JeremyB wrote:
shadizzle wrote:

Hello,

The secret to getting the intel installer to work is /etc/lsb-release

sudo gedit /etc/lsb-release
You need to change LinuxMint to Ubuntu, change the name from qiana to trusty, and finally change the version from 17 to 14.04

Save, exit gedit and try

sudo intel-linux-graphics-installer

Hey that worked perfect!!!

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:D
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Good, you will need to change the lsb-release again if you want to use the intel installer after a reboot as a reboot will change the lsb-release back to LinuxMint
shadizzle

Post by shadizzle »

JeremyB wrote:Good, you will need to change the lsb-release again if you want to use the intel installer after a reboot as a reboot will change the lsb-release back to LinuxMint
Ok, will do-

I believe I ran into a slight snag as well...

Within the Snaptic package manager, I have the intel download site as part of an additional repository. (https://download.01.org/....) However, when I go to attempt to remove, update the cache, I get a "another synaptic is running in interactive mode, please close first" I know this is the only one open, and cannot seem to disable/remove it.

Is there a terminal command that is known on LM? The couple I have searched for on the net here dont seem to be working properly. Or I get the usual permissions denied, though they are for a "ubuntu" install (I know, Mint is supposed to be ubuntu at core)- maybe im in over my head with mint and should keep the training wheels on and stick with ubuntu?
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

the cache message is normal, just close it and then click on reload.
shadizzle

Post by shadizzle »

PatH57 wrote:the cache message is normal, just close it and then click on reload.

wow, that really jsut shows I have no idea what I am doing.

Thank you Pat, Jeremy, and everyone else who contributed to this thread.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Don't worry that was confusing me at the beginning to,the message is weird.

Please add closed to the topic subject it may help others searching for a solution.
Thanks and wlecome to the community.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”