AMD A8

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dkfalcone

AMD A8

Post by dkfalcone »

$ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon APU A4-6000 with R2 Graphics] bus-ID: 00:01.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati (unloaded: vesa,radeon) FAILED: fbdev Resolution: 1366x768@76.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

First off, I don't know much about video cards. I don't do games, and have not done much graphics in the past, so it has not been an issue for me. I recently got a hp 15 with the AMD A8 combined processor. Under windows 7 it smeeded to do everything I'd need as far as video goes (bit of a pain otherwise).When I finally got mint17 mate loaded it all worked ok until I connected an HDMI cable to my tv. Looking at a youtube video, it all works well untill I go full screen. It works well for about 4 seconds, then comes to a grinding halt, and repeated buffering thereafter. Under win7, it worked fine.
I tried the other drivers listed under control pannel, they were slower.

Questions: Is this just one of those things that is the way it is? (get different machine?)
Would going to a sparcer desktop take some of the strain off of it? (xfce?)
What is the "FAILED" in line 2 under from my inxi -Gx all about?
Your help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: AMD A8

Post by PatH57 »

the failed means you are probably running in software rendering and not hw rendering.
Seems it was a know bug in kernel 3.13 at the beginning.
Check with update manager if you can install a different kernel or try the beta driver
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx
Resolved Issues:

[399454] : Witcher 2 - Resolves random lock-up seen when launching the application

[398826] : Screen corruption when connect external monitor to some PowerXpress A+I platform
[396719] : X crash when do rotation with Tear Free Desktop enabled
[397810] : Failure on exit of OpenGL programs
[398424] : Error message when run clinfo in console mode
[396098] : Blank screen when hotplug HDMI monitor from MST hub
[396795] : System hang after resume from S3/S4 in High Performance mode on PowerXpress A+I platform
[396870] : Garbage on the bottom right corner of screen before boot into login UI during restart
dkfalcone

Re: AMD A8

Post by dkfalcone »

Thanks for the information, though I can't say I really understood. However, I did notice some upgrades, ran them and things worked a bit better. Then I loaded a program smtube. It ran well as soon as I reduced the dpi's on the display. I suspect if I could get the ATI driver to reduce as well, it might just do the trick.Unfortunatly I can;t seem to get the ATI Catalist to allow me to make changes. I'll keep playing about with it.
Thanks again.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”