Driver Education

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rosswmcgee

Driver Education

Post by rosswmcgee »

Hi!

I am ignorant when it comes to drivers. I am using an older amd athlon computer 1.8gb running qiana mint mate. The driver set with the

install is xserver-xorg nouveau 1.10.10. this is not the recommended driver in the driver manager. When I have tried to use the recommeded driver

it crashed the system so bad I had to do a clean install. Also I noted there is a large list of drivers in synaptic. Opera works fine, but firefox and tbird are

likely to crash from time to time. I was unable to install ubuntu 14.04lts and told it is the drivers. nvidia 304 is recomended. There are nvida- 304-updates

and nvidia -173 listed in the driver manager. I do not want to crash the computer again but perhaps someone understands drivers, I certainly do not.

I started a draft of this post and saved it. I cannot find it on the web page to delete it. Do you install drivers from synaptic and then use the driver manager?

Ross
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Driver Education

Post by MrBob22 »

Everyone should read and follow the helpful guidelines on how to ask for help...its really for your benefit...enough preaching...
That said, its hard to give any guidance when we know so little about the hardware.
post the result of:

Code: Select all

su lshw
List the version of linux you have installed.

and let us know more specifically what is going wrong. Why do you think "drivers" are causing your problems?

Generally, the Linux idea is to use open software and not use proprietary drivers (programs that interface between a device and the operating system written witnout outside access to the source code) when possible. There are times when a proprietary driver is the only real choice, but there is no way to tell yet in your question. Much of the Linux system now knows about hardware and the kernel will "know" how to interact with your system. (There are always exceptions...)
Sometimes, the manufacturerer's driver is the one that works best, but maybe not in your case.

Is your system up and running and able to give output for exam? I will check back soon....
MrBob22
ps I have used several older AMD systems that worked well under Mint....

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”