[SOLVED] Intel Card, LM17, Compiz, HDMI problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
le hollandais volant

[SOLVED] Intel Card, LM17, Compiz, HDMI problems

Post by le hollandais volant »

[EDIT : the problem came from Compiz, see post #4]

Hello,

I use LM17, with mate, with compiz on a recent Clevo computer, with Intel i3 Haswell and a integrated Intel HD4000 chip.

The problem comes when I changes something in the « display » program : changing the screen resolution, in the options, or adding a new screen/projector.
What I get with the projector is a flickering, unresponding screen on both the screen and the projector.
What I get when changing the resolution (from 1600×900 to 1440×900) is this : http://lehollandaisvolant.net/img/7Capture.png (here I tried with "xrandr", but the problem is exactly the same. As you can see, the image is not resized but cut off. The screen is no longer responding, only the mouse pointer is.
However, when I click somewhere, I can launch programs (if I click on the right spot) but I don’t see them : the image remains the same.

To get things working, I have to kill X-server (killall x-session-manager) in a TTY (Ctrl+Alt+F2). The the sessions shuts down, and I can reopen a new one (Ctrl+Alt+F7/8) with the two displays working fine.

When I want to remove the projector/screen, the same happens : flickering, unresponding screens…

I suspect my computer to be a bit to recent (March 2014) for LM17. For the past years, I got 3 recent computers, with 3 intel chips and everytime I had weird bugs that were solved over the time.

However, I just want to be sure : does anyone else have a similar problem ? Does it affect only Intel chips ? Is it compiz ? Mate ?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: Intel Card, LM17, Mate+Compiz, HDMI projector problems

Post by ktheking »

Here's some nice info on dual screen setups : http://web.archive.org/web/201304290731 ... aphodHeads

However in Linux this seems still to be a lot of trial and error.

What you already can try is simply disable any screen mirroring.

Hope that helps.

K.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

could you provide
Your current kernel boot line:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cmdline
Information about your video card(s):

lspci -k | grep -iA2 VGA
and

lsmod
plus xorg.0.log

pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
le hollandais volant

Actually I figured out just now that it came from Compiz (on another computer running LM17 with the same hardware, there was no problem).

I tried on another session on my laptop :
– without compiz : no problem.
– with compiz : no problem.

The problem came with my Compiz Config Settings.

I do not know still witch option were problematic, but I removed the directories :
~/.compiz
~/.config/compiz
~/.config/compiz-1

I logged out, logged back in and started configuring Compiz from a fresh start.

The problem disapeared.

The fact is, when I update a LM version, I usually don’t change the config files (the hidden files in ~/). Some of the config files are there for many versions (and many laptops, since I keep the same harddrive) and may be totally obsolete and causing bugs.

But I thank you for the replies.
It’s thus not a real bug (maybe pebkak…).
PatH57

Re: [SOLVED] Intel Card, LM17, Compiz, HDMI problems

Post by PatH57 »

well nice to see you here anyway, loved your site 3 month ago when I started with Mint.
le hollandais volant

Re: [SOLVED] Intel Card, LM17, Compiz, HDMI problems

I rediscovered the problem today.
The problem came from the “texture compression” in the OpenGL section (in CCSM), that has to be uncheckt to work (activating it cause trouble).

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”