Video and audio card issues with DELL poweredge 1420

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fabry

Video and audio card issues with DELL poweredge 1420

Post by Fabry »

Hi, I would to use it as a workstation for CAD/CAM/CAE and I would work with opensouce sowtware.

this is the current output of inxi:

Code: Select all

Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine:   System: Dell product: PowerEdge SC1420
           Mobo: Dell model: 0DD444 Bios: Dell version: A03 date: 08/18/2005
CPU(s):    2 Dual core Intel Xeon CPUs (-HT-SMP-) cache: 4096 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 25536.4 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 3192.046 MHz 2: 3192.046 MHz 3: 3192.046 MHz 4: 3192.046 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Matrox Systems Millennium P690 bus-ID: 07:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev (unloaded: mga,vesa) Resolution: 640x480@73.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster driver: snd_ca0106 port: dca0 bus-ID: 03:0d.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-24-generic
Network:   Card: Intel 82545GM Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: e1000 ver: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI port: dcc0 bus-ID: 03:0e.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Volume_0 size: 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 217G used: 5.6G (3%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 8.52GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 162 Uptime: 26 min Memory: 709.4/7919.8MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
I'm just and end user linux and I don't know how to set up properly this hardware to optimase it for my purpose.

This are the issues that I'm able to see:
  • 1. Just one monitor of 2 is working;
    2. The video card doesn't have correct drivers or setting;
    3. Audio card doesn't work;
    4. the system is working in low grafic mode by default, without hardware aceleration.
I'd like to thank you for your help and for your kind attention.

Fabry.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grungy_me
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Video and audio card issues with DELL poweredge 1420

Post by grungy_me »

@Fabry

I've never dealt with using Matrox Systems graphics cards in Linux. So my advice is somewhat speculation, guessing and not direct experience. You might want to wait and see if anyone else here speaks up about this problem of yours that can give better advice. From the research I've done both here and on Ubuntuforums.org, it appears like the open source Matrox driver is not well maintained, and the proprietary Linux drivers from Matrox may not work with newer versions of Linux such as LinuxMint 17, as the last update for the Proprietary Matrox P690 driver was 22, May, 2009.

Here's a few things I'd suggest, try installing LinuxMint 17 XFCE, Mate, or KDE as these three desktop environments do not require GPU acceleration of the desktop. Try XFCE first since it is the lightest distro for older computers which your computer qualifies for. Then see if you are able to adjust the display resolution and get your second monitor working from:

Start Menu---> Settings---> Display.

If this does not work, your last resort is to see if you can install the Matrox proprietary Linux driver on your computer. Goto:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/drivers/

And find the correct 64-bit Linux driver to download and save to your computer.

Instead of using the "su root" you'll be using the "sudo" command in front of the command to install the driver for example:

sudo sh matrox_driver_installer_file_name.run

Then you will have to enter your password.

I'm guessing if you have any chance of getting this proprietary Matrox driver to work you will have to dig deeply into the two release notes provided.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”