Vanishing/corrupting text in menus/programs

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The_Riskbreaker

Vanishing/corrupting text in menus/programs

Post by The_Riskbreaker »

Hey, I was heistant to post this since I have ordered a new laptop which uses a different graphics setup, and is much newer, but since it's gonna be another couple weeks due to customization, here's the sitch.

First, specs in question.

Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine: System: Dell product: XPS M1330
Mobo: Dell model: 0N6705 Bios: Dell version: A15 date: 12/26/2008
CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5850 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 8644.86
Clock Speeds: 1: 1000.00 MHz 2: 1000.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes

I think the issue, from what I found scouring the 'net, is due to my "Mesa" Intel integrated. I cannot change the display adapter in my laptop even if I wanted to. (long story, it's on Dell's end) When i'm using my system, sometimes for ten minutes, sometimes two or three hours, my text begins to gets corrupted or outright vanish. When typing in Libreoffice some of the letters will morph a little, and I can drag-highlight them to fix the issue. If the title of the window gets this problem just min/max it for a fix. If stuff vanishes I have to restart X. It does not go away if I do nothing, and if left untreated it will eventually become totally blank like the "Menu" screenshot. For reference, the Theme I am using is "Tron". I tried several different themes because at first I thought that was the issue.

I have updated my drivers, and checked all installed and running programs for issues. I'm unsure what is causing it. I worked with a friend who is helping me study for the LPIC-1 and no luck. Any theories or soiutions are welcome. Thanks a million.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oldwolf

Re: Vanishing/corrupting text in menus/programs

Post by oldwolf »

I've had a similar problem in the past.
As you likely guessed the driver may not match the graphics card.
Afraid that's all I'm really qualified to say.
The_Riskbreaker

Re: Vanishing/corrupting text in menus/programs

I wager it might be the graphic driver. I followed a link in a previous post to a site that had the Mesa 10.3 drivers, but they don't install. I tried "make"-ing the file, but it fails everytime. And the automatic Intel installs fails the distribution check. There has to be an easier way to do this.
The_Riskbreaker

Re: Sudden loss of video, laptop still running

I updated my Intel drivers via a post a little further down the page. I haven't seen any vanishing text or icons yet, but I had a reoccurance of an issue from yesterday. My laptop screen went black, yet the computer was still on. (Clementine was still playing music) I have no idea why it did this. If anyone reads this and has answers I'd appreciate them. In the meantime I am searching for others online who may have had this issue.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”