Different Resolution External Monitors as Extended Monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Different Resolution External Monitors as Extended Monit

Post by roblm »

Crusader wrote:Option "metamodes" "VGA-1-0: 1280x1024_60 +0+0, HDMI-1: 1280x960_60 +1280+0
Should this line have a closing set of quotes (")?
Good observation. Yes it should have quotes on the end. You'll have to add them in Recovery Mode.

Option "metamodes" "VGA-1-0: 1280x1024_60 +0+0, HDMI-1: 1280x960_60 +1280+0"
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Crusader »

Update: was able to log in after disconnecting the HP VGA monitor; however, I now have 2 windows overlapping (on the ASUS) and no second monitor - at least I can log in!

Changing the resolution via Administration -> NVIDIA X Server Settings helps - for that login session only - even when I save the settings to the X Configuration file.
LO 7.x on Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
In a world without walls, who needs Window$
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Crusader,

This is the last post I'll be making in this topic because it will become a hot topic when 24 posts is reached, even though you and I
are the only ones doing the posting, which is going to attract more viewers. I think a hot post should be determined not just by both
the number of posts in it but by a larger number of contributors. I don't want other users to have to read through many pages of
posts without a resolution in sight. I'll be continuing my help by e-mail through the Mint Forum. If we can get a resolution, then it
can be posted in this topic.
Crusader
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Different Resolution External Monitors as Extended Monitor

Post by Crusader »

Hello Roblm,

At the risk of turning this topic into a "hot topic" (I don't know if the same rules from 3 years ago are still in place), I am writing to get essentially the same type of help as you have previously offered - and which worked.

In an effort to get my scanner to work on my Linux Mint OS (I have a dual OS: Window$ being the other one), I sought help on this forum and ultimately found the solution; however, in the process, I (foolishly?) ran the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade," command which seemingly "upgraded" my system. The first noticeable thing is a display problem. I still have 2 HP Compaq LA1951g monitors (identical monitors) and would like to use them as one (the second one being a continuation of the first one - I don't use the laptop monitor). You provided the "xorgconf" code and it worked fine for 3 years. After the "upgrade" today, the monitors have reverted back to the situation I had 3 years ago: when I move the cursor to the second monitor (which is to the right of the first, main, monitor), the second screen scrolls to the left (to the first monitor), and, then the cursor enters the actual second monitor zone (I hope this makes sense). Below is the "xorgconf" file that has worked for the past 3 years.

Code: Select all

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "modesetting"
    BusID "PCI:0@0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1@0:0:0"
    Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
    Option "metamodes" "HDMI-0: 1280x1024_60 +1366+124, VGA-1-0: 1280x1024_60 0+0"
    Option "MetaModeOrientation" "CRT-1 RightOf DFP-1"
EndSection
The "new" xorgconf file is as follows

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "intel"
    BusID "PCI:0@0:2:0"
    Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1@0:0:0"
    Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
EndSection
I have tried replacing the new file with the one that worked for me, but it doesn't seem to work. I noticed the following message on the Terminal

a@a-UL80VT ~ $ gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.CVIW1Y': No such file or directory

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
It appears the upgrade seemingly wiped out some of my files: what exactly changed, I don't know. I am using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit, Cinnamon Version 2.8.8. System info still shows the same thing; additionally, it shows Linux Kernel 3.19.0-32-generic (I don't know what the former Linux Kernel was). HDMI and VGA connections also remain the same. If needed, feel free to reach me by e-mail through the Mint Forum.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated! I will be happy to run other reports as necessary.
LO 7.x on Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
In a world without walls, who needs Window$

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”