Screen suddenly turns black using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iokara08

Screen suddenly turns black using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca

Post by iokara08 »

Good evening,

My laptop is an LG E500 running Linux Mint for the last 3 years. Last April, 2014, I upgraded to Linux mint 17. Everything was working fine. Since October my laptop's screen sometimes turned black and I couldn't do anything except entering in slleping mode and then coming back. Anyway, two weeks ago I upgraded to Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca hopefully that this problem would be disappeared. Unfortunately, this issue is continue. Below are my laptop's characteristics (acquired using ''System Profiler and Benchmark''):

CPU
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz 1733,00MHz
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz 1333,00MHz
OpenGL
Vendor Intel Open Source Technology Center
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
Version 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
Direct Rendering Yes
MEMORY
2055MB

SCSI DISKS
ATA FUJITSU MHY2160B
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N

My personal opinion is that something has to do with the drivers of my graphic card. I checked for any other driver using the ''additional drivers'' software but I get that this system doesn't use any proprietary driver. Any kind of help is more than welcome!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Screen suddenly turns black using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecc

Post by robenroute »

There have been issues with the Intel driver(s), e.g. reported here: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/sh ... i?id=80568

I'm experiencing problems running 17.1 on a laptop (Intel 965 graphics architecture). I've also got a system with an i3 (integrated Intel graphics), that has seen small graphics driver problems running Mint 16 and also Mint 17.

There seems to be no solution at the moment, just a workaround for issues with chrome and chromium (see the link above).
iokara08

Post by iokara08 »

Hi robenroute, thank you for your very helpful post.
The link that you posted describes exaclty my problem. For the past 10 days I am surfing on the net using Mozila firefox instead of chrome and everything works perfectly.
Of course the bug is not solved but for the moment I dont mind that I cant use chrome.
The point here is that the problem is restricted only in using chrome. Therefore, users affected by this bug dont get panic just use for the moment other internet browsers :D .

Thank again robenroute.
Have a nice day

P.S: I a new member of linux mint forums. Should I mark this thread as solved?
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robenroute »

Hi there, iokara08. Sorry for not answering earlier, the festive season, you know...

I'm glad I could be of help. Personally, I wouldn't mark the thread as solved, as there is no real solution (yet). On the other hand, your using firefox successfully is a workaround and could be considered a solution. So, in other words, it's up to you :lol:

Happy Minting & all the best!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”