GTX 770 dcu2oc 2Gb Black Screen Freezes Playing X Plane

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

GTX 770 dcu2oc 2Gb Black Screen Freezes Playing X Plane

Post by halregen »

I just installed a GTX 770 dcu2oc 2Gb in my computer and although the FPS on high settings is excellent in X Plane, I can only run it a few minutes before the screen goes black and keyboard, mouse freeze. I have to turn the power off and then start in repair mode from grub. I have to scan and repair the extn4 fs before I can use the command nvidia-xconfig to regenerate the xorg.conf file settings. Everytime I have to go through exactly the same after a black screen. I'm not certain if I need a BIOS update for the video card or even how it would be possible because the BIOS updates from Nvidia are only Windows executable. I thought I could use wine to run them but found out there is a conflict with nvidia-libopencl1-331-updates. This is part of the Nvidia driver package, so I'm stumped here. I also thought the PSU I'm using: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W 80+ might not be giving enough power under load but have used the PSU calculator from here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp that is the pro version and it said I only need about 500W. It gave the amperages needed on 3.3, 5, and 12V as well. They all fall within the rating for the Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold. I also used another calculator: http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/index.jsp
It recommended only a 450W PSU. So unless they are inaccurate I'm not certain what to do or how.
My system specifications:
Gigabyte B85M D3H mainboard, i7 4770k 3.5Ghz CPU, GTX 770 dcu2oc 2Gb, 16Gb corsair Xtreme DDR3 RAM, LG 23 inch 1920x1080 monitor, 1x sata 500Gb HD, 1x DVD-RW/DVD+RW optical drive, Belkin wireless USB dongle (USB3), USB wireless mouse (USB2) and USB Keyboard (USB2).
So if anyone can help I would be grateful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: GTX 770 dcu2oc 2Gb Black Screen Freezes Playing X Plane

Post by halregen »

If I could get a basic Windows DOS type boot USB stick, I could put the GTX 770 BIOS update files on it and execute the update that way. The update exe is a MSDOS executable. There no certainty that a BIOS update will work but it might be worth a try.
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by halregen »

I did find zipped files online for a windows boot disk. Unzipped them to a USB stick then added the GTX770 flash files but it wont boot even when the computer BIOS is set to boot from USB at first disc priority. Can anyone tell me what I need to do, to make it boot?
halregen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by halregen »

I found a way to updte the VBOIS and it solved the black screen freezes. Here is the solution I posted here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... l#15026732

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”