Issues with Screen Brightness and Battery!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wywer

Issues with Screen Brightness and Battery!

Post by wywer »

Hi friends,
I have this ASUSTeK X550LC Series Notebook with free DOS (kindly view the signature for more info').The intention was to install LM,which i did.Unfortunately,as i realize now,this is a new X-series model. I have used Sony Vaio and Toshiba laptops with Linux/debian(not LM) installed where adjusting the screen brightness and viewing the battery status was a breeze!I have pored over the user manual,duckducked for any "clues" for managing these two functions,with no luck. I request the hardware pro's here to help me bail out! Please view the screenshots and this URL link: http://www.driverowl.com/p/Asus/X550LC/Driver/201202 .TIA!Peace.
gratefully,
Wywerjet
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Issues with Screen Brightness and Battery!

Post by Hoser Rob »

I looked at that link ... and BTW there is not a hope in hell I'd get drivers from something like that instead of ASUS or the graphic card maker themselves ... and the word 'linux' appears nowhere.

No harm done I think though if you dl'ed them, you just seem to have downloaded windows drivers, which are useless in linux. And just downloading drivers doesn't necessarily work. This ain't windows.

First you need to find out what graphics card you do have. Open a terminal and paste this in:

sudo lshw -numeric -C display

Then post the output herem using

Code: Select all

tags.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

This may help with your Intel graphics : (Mint 17/17.1 = Ubuntu 14.04)

Intel(R) Graphics Installer 1.0.7 for Linux
wywer

Post by wywer »

Hoser Rob wrote:I looked at that link ... and BTW there is not a hope in hell I'd get drivers from something like that instead of ASUS or the graphic card maker themselves ... and the word 'linux' appears nowhere.

No harm done I think though if you dl'ed them, you just seem to have downloaded windows drivers, which are useless in linux. And just downloading drivers doesn't necessarily work. This ain't windows.

First you need to find out what graphics card you do have. Open a terminal and paste this in:

sudo lshw -numeric -C display

Then post the output herem using

Code: Select all

tags.[/quote]
Hi Hoser Rob,
                       Thanks for the post.I did not d-l any Win.drivers.My 1st foray into Linux was with Ubuntu,when there was no GUI! I was so disgusted with Win.,i never had/have a dual-boot.Since there is a limit of 255 characters in the signature- i had to omit this detail -- "NVIDIA GEFORCE 720M",which is pasted below the integrated keypad of ASUSTeK X550LC.
                       Just to confirm,i typed in the T.CMD and the output is presented as an attachment.View it.Peace.
                                                                     regards--W.Jet
wywer

Post by wywer »

richyrich wrote:This may help with your Intel graphics : (Mint 17/17.1 = Ubuntu 14.04)

Intel(R) Graphics Installer 1.0.7 for Linux
Hi there richyrich,
Thanks!I have read the url link you provided and it deals with "Intel Graphics Installer".The Graphics card on this Notebook is NVIDIA! I welcome any clarifications,which i may have missed! Now, what i have done is -Kindly view the attachment,which resolved the issue.I use SMPlayer as the default M-M player,where i have the option of dynamically controlling the "display brightness"!Peace.
regards--W.Jet

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”