Load correct MESA DRI Intel drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Looks like this issue may still be around.

I recently upgraded from LM16 (Mate) to LM17.1 (Cinnamon) on an HP Desktop machine

jon@jon-HP-Compaq-dx7200-Microtower ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes

The install was successful but ran slowly and was subject to periods of Hard disk "thrashing" that pushed the CPU to 100% and rendered the machine totally unresponsive for 5 minutes or so at a time. A reboot was required to gain control again.

I played with Swap partition size/fle configuration etc which all made very little difference then came across Clem's magic patch in this topic.

Have applied it and now have a fully functioning PC again.

Thanks

Jon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You likely have a different problem (than the one on Mint 14, where this discussion started) looking at this inxi output.
What we had in 14 was a bug in mdm which has long been fixed. I was involved with that, it was a race condition between plymouth and mdm.
As you have an older computer your problem might be related to a low amount of RAM or lack of maintenance to drivers for older (8xx) hardware by Intel developers. For the latter, using another edition than Cinnamon might be worth a try. If MATE worked for you with 16 then likely it will work with 17.1 too. If you have a slower computer / not much RAM then Xfce might also be worth a try.

Edited my post since it was moved to a new topic
Last edited by AlbertP on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
r00t

Re: Load correct MESA DRI Intel drivers

Post by r00t »

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”