Driver Manager doesn't allow changing drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wuffie

Driver Manager doesn't allow changing drivers

Post by wuffie »

Hi! So I've been using the Driver Manager to swap between drivers recently, since the proprietary drivers don't properly support ttys but nouveau isn't fast enough for games.
This has been working up until recently when I manually installed the most recent version of the Nvidia driver from their website. It didn't install fully, so I used Driver Manager to go back to nouveau. Now, though, it doesn't let me swap through drivers at all. Everything is greyed out and it says, "This device is using an alternative driver." I've swapped around my xorg.conf backup files in hopes of that fixing the problem, but after closer inspection all of them were generated by nvidia-xsettings, which means at some point in time one of the backups was overwritten.
Using no xorg.conf doesn't work. sudo X -configure errors out saying "device 'nvidia' doesn't exist," so I can't generate a new xorg.conf. Maybe that file isn't even the problem. Either way, attempting to reinstall the nvidia drivers from the website results in the installer complaining that I'm still using nouveau, even after I restart after it creates the blacklist file. How do I get Driver Manager working again so I can swap between drivers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Driver Manager doesn't allow changing drivers

Post by roblm »

Would you use this command in the Terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
What instructions did you use to try installing the downloaded Nvidia driver?
You said it didn't install fully, so what steps, if any, did you do to remove it?
wuffie

Re: Driver Manager doesn't allow changing drivers

Post by wuffie »

roblm wrote:Would you use this command in the Terminal and post the output:

inxi -Fx
What instructions did you use to try installing the downloaded Nvidia driver?
You said it didn't install fully, so what steps, if any, did you do to remove it?
Hey, sorry for leaving you hanging. I solved the problem by completely wiping the Nvidia drivers with

sudo apt-get remove nvidia*
and reinstalling them.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”