Linux hates high resolution monitors

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
floortester

Linux hates high resolution monitors

Post by floortester »

I have 4 computers, 3 running various flavours of Windows and a Linux PC connected through a KVA.

All the Windows PC will happily run at 1920*1200 on my 24" screen without any additional work but whatever version of Linux I use it will only run 1024*768, and once new drivers are installed, at 1360*768, at its maximum which makes the screen tiring to use and stops its use for photos, video or graphics work.

I only use it now for emails as even the internet is unpleasant to watch

I have tried Suse 8,11; Ubuntu 8,10,11,12 & 14 and Mint 10, 12, 13,15 & now 17 to no avail, I have copious copies of the recommendations, some of which as a newbie I find totally incomprehensible.

I have replaced my video card a couple of times but that has not produced any results, although the system does recognise the card -viz
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630] [10de:0f00] (rev a1)
Subsystem: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630] [10de:0f00]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0bea] (rev a1)

System is
GA-MA78G-DS3H motherboard
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad core processor
4gb memory
SSD 120gb
KinuxMint 17 3.13.0.24-generic
MATE 1.8.0

The only common component is AMD, I only use their processors in PC's and even the older versions of Linux were running on AMD.

I took the SSD from my neighbours PC where it was running quite happily at 1920*1200 on its onboard graphics and plugged it on mine, resolution dropped like a stone!!

Any Thoughts

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Distro-Don

Re: Linux hates high resolution monitors

Post by Distro-Don »

I have been running 1920*1200 on my 25" screen for the last 5 years on various Linux machines with no problems at all.
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

KVA? Do you mean KVM (Switch)?

If it is a KVM Switch, try connecting the monitor straight to the system. Possibly your KVM doesn't permit the correct recognition of the native monitor resolution. Please describe how the KVM is connected (graphics connector on PC, cable used, graphics connector on KVM and connector on monitor).
floortester

Post by floortester »

Hi,
Thanks for the possible causes

The Linux PC is connected to the KVM!! via VGA cable, I have tried both the VGA and the DVI, with a VGA converter, outputs from the Video card, the KVM is connect to the monitor via VGA cable to its VGA input.

I have removed the KVM from the setup and connected directly to the PC
It, like my Windows machines, does not recognise the monitor, a Dell 24" high definition model, I had an ASUS 24" before and a 27" Sony CRT but to no avail, whatever tweaks I make it still sits at 1368*768.

I may have to move to 64bit as both the driver listed by Nvidia for the card and for my printer a Xerox 6600 Phaser are 64 bit only and have another try. My Ubuntu 14 was 64bit and I was able to run the network printer, Mint does not have a sufficient list of Phaser printers and tries to install a mono postscript driver.

Thanks

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”