Terrible radeon exp, how to get v1.7.4 or better driver?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Scorp1us

Terrible radeon exp, how to get v1.7.4 or better driver?

Post by Scorp1us »

I have a Radeon HD 7520G. It's a laptop and in the office I use a multi-monitor setup. At home, no 2nd monitor. Suspend doesn't work because I'm on a SSD, so I reboot it like once a day. However sometimes I make it home before the battery runs out and I plug it in.

I have about a 50/50 chance that this display will go wonkers (technical term) when the display configuration changes from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1. And by wonkers I mean one of:
1) garbage on the local display (usually white pink garbage) (I also see this garbage when plugging in a monitor briefly)
2) nothing (not even backlight) on the local display
3) backlight but black on the local display.

FN+Monitor key does not work when it's wonkers.

Also when booting I have about a 1/3 chance it will boot correctly. when it doesn't I often wind up rebooting 4-7 times before the linux mint logo appears.
I'm using the proprietary driver (frlgx) which seems to work slightly better, but it's not a guarantee. My Catalyst Control Center has gone missing. (It's not in the mint menu)

I heard there were great advances in the 1.7.4 open source driver. I'd like to try the latst but the driver manager only lists a 1.7.3 version.

How do I get the 1.7.4 or 1.7.5 version? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Scorp1us

Re: Terrible radeon exp, how to get v1.7.4 or better driver?

Post by Scorp1us »

Awesome! Installing now.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”