Install CUDA drivers/toolkit on Mint 17.1 MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barelycuda

Install CUDA drivers/toolkit on Mint 17.1 MATE

Post by barelycuda »

Hi,

I'm really tearing my hair out on this one, been at it for hours. I am trying to get the CUDA drivers and toolkit running with a GTX 750Ti card on an old A8N32-SLI-Deluxe ASUS Mobo. Can't get the Nvidia device drivers to install because Nvidia wants X shut down first. Tried every trick I can find (including several from the forum--editing cfg files, resetting boot parameters, etc..) to reboot into bash, but all I get is a black screen on boot, and I am getting REALLY tired of having to use the installation disc to undo the changes.

Every Linux book I have says to change the inittab file, but this distro doesn't have one. :?

So, first question: how do I boot into bash to install the drivers? I can't believe a distro would be released without an easy, reliable way to do simple, common activities like this.

Follow on: if anyone has successfully installed the CUDA toolkit, I would appreciate any tips that would make that less painful than installing the drivers has been so far.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Install CUDA drivers/toolkit on Mint 17.1 MATE

Post by richyrich »

Have you tried installing the nvidia-cuda-toolkit from Synaptic Package Manager?
barelycuda

Post by barelycuda »

Synaptic doesn't have the current hardware drivers, and I still would have to shut down X to install the drivers.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

The suggestion by richyrich works for an older Nvidia graphics card. I used it successfully to get CUDA working on a system with a Nvidia GeForce 210 card using the
nvidia-331 driver. I installed Blender and in File > User Preferences > System, there was an option to change the Compute Device to CUDA, which uses the GPU instead
of the CPU.

However, on a system with a GeForce GT 730 card and the nvidia-331 driver installed, it didn't work. Your GTX 750Ti card is not supported by the nvidia-331 driver. To get
CUDA working for a newer Nvidia graphics card, read the information in THIS TOPIC
barelycuda

Post by barelycuda »

Some of this info may be useful after the initial question posted is addressed, so thanks for that.

Does anyone have experience getting proprietary graphics drivers installed?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

barelycuda,

In the link to the topic "GTX960 and Blender" I previously listed, my third post in that topic gives the complete instructions for installing the CUDA toolkit
and Nvidia driver, which are both included in the "cuda_7.0.28_linux.run" package, and are installed at the same time. The Nvidia driver does not
have to be installed separately.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”