Lines in windows? (graphics glitches)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gto52

Lines in windows? (graphics glitches)

Post by gto52 »

I have been using Linux Mint 17/17.1/17.2 for the last year, I recently changed computers I set up the new pc(old pc I got from my parents) first with 17.1 and then upgraded to 17.2. I have had these horizontal lines(1 to 2cm in length) evenly spaced in some windows.If I maximize the window they disappear, but will return after a while.
It seems to be getting steadily worse, I see now in Firefox my add ons icons are all messed up and they don't come right after maximizing the window.Also now in the main menu icons have lines in them but the text is okay.
I presume it is some sort of graphics issue?
Processor: Processor 2x Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Ram: 3098MB (1548MB used)
Display:OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 x86/MMX/SSE2
Kernal: 3.16.0-38
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chaxxon

Re: Lines in windows? (graphics glitches)

Post by Chaxxon »

I am experiencing the same issue with 17.2 - Open windows, as well as ones minimized to the taskbar frequently have distorted graphics, lines that seem pixelated. Sometimes maximizing or minimizing a window helps but not always. I have noticed however I typically only see this behavior in the following programs: Midori Web browser, Pidgin and RSSOwl feedreader.

I have included a screenshot )Screenshot1) of I-nex showing my GPU infomation, but if you look at the taskbar you can see the minimized Midori and RSSOwl window Icons have the lines mentioned.

Screenshot2 shows Midori as it appears when I switch to it from another window.

Screenshot3 shows Midori after maximizing which clears the lines. If Midori is maximized and switched to from another window the lines are there and minimizig and them maximizing clears the lines so it is not size of window related.

EDIT: I am also getting this issue with the OSD (on screen notification) pop ups.
gto52

Post by gto52 »

Hi Chaxxon
Thanks for the screen shots.
They look pretty much the same as what my screen looks like.
Chaxxon

Post by Chaxxon »

GTO52 are you by chance using RSSOwl on your system?
gto52

Post by gto52 »

No
I notice when I reboot the lines are gone for a while but then start coming back and get worse the longer the pc is on.
A friend of mine reckons that these symptoms are the sign of a graphics card on its way out!
Chaxxon

Post by Chaxxon »

I asked about RSSOwl because I began to notice a pattern that the lines appeared after using the program. I removed it and am still waiting to see if the lines reappear, as of this time they have not.
Chaxxon

Post by Chaxxon »

I have ruled out RSSOwl as the lines finally reappeared but after a much longer time.
Chaxxon

Post by Chaxxon »

Is no one else having this intermittent issue? Any suggestions would be helpful. I reinstalled 17.1 and the issue went away, upgraded to 17.2 and the issue returns.
Chaxxon

Post by Chaxxon »

This is a Cinnamon specif issue. XFCE, LXDE, KDE installed on my Linux Mint 17.2 do not experience this issue at all.
gto52

Post by gto52 »

I don't have this problem any more, I was given a newer old pc installed 17.2 64bit Cinnamon no glitches so far.
Chaxxon

Post by Chaxxon »

I would love to find a solution to this annoying issue. I have installed XFCE, Enlightenment and KDE. My graphic issues only happen with Cinnamon. Anyone have any ideas as to why? I love Cinnamon and prefer to use it but if I have to log out after a couple of hours and then log back in to get rid of the strange lines that ruin the user experience I am not sure what else to do but ditch Cinnamon.
Chaxxon

Post by Chaxxon »

Obviously no support found here. Goodbye Mint.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”