[SOLVED] Intel graphics, low resolution, rendering & fallbac

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sezmeralda

[SOLVED] Intel graphics, low resolution, rendering & fallbac

Post by sezmeralda »

Edit: The problem of poor resolution & fallback mode was eventually solved by a kernel update. Cinnamon had to run with hardware acceleration for 6 months, until I could install LM 17.3. Even then an upgrade did not work because it did not also upgrade the X.org drivers from 1.15 to 1.17, a fresh install of LM 17.3 from the LiveCD is what was needed. /Edit

System Info:
Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon Version 2.6.13
Linux Kernel: 3.16.0.45-generic
CPU: i5-6600K
On-board GFX: Intel Corporation Device 1912
GFX Card: Nil

Problem:
- Resolution stuck at 1024x768 (only option in Display) Also no rotation option other than 'Normal.'
- After Cinnamon has loaded I am greeted with a "Running in software rendering mode" message.

Have tried many solutions (most forum topics appear to be based on nVidia gfx cards). I spent a couple of days getting the Intel Linux Graphics Installer to work (by adding the 2 keys and temporarily changing my /etc/lsb-release to fake Ubuntu 14.10) but this didn't solve the problem. I tried updating all through Update Manager, apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade, but the resolution issue remains.

-Cinnamon starts crashing & using fallback mode after I try the above solutions.

Again, all forum topics seem to be based around nVidia gfx. I have tried using the Driver Manager but it consistently states "no proprietary drivers are in use" and there are no entries in the list (before, during and after the attempts at fixing the problem).

Since all of the above I have re-installed Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, run the Update Manager through until there were no more updates and installed Kernel 3.16.45 (no change). Now I post for help.

inxi -CG says:

Code: Select all

~ $ inxi -CG
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6600K CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 2500.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 1912 X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@76.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 256 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3
So I'm at the end of my abilities to search for solutions, and not competent enough with Linux to work it out for myself. I can see there's a resolution value displayed against the graphics entry in inxi... maybe I have to force a change somehow?!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Intel graphics, low resolution, rendering & fallback mod

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- launch a terminal window and make it full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
sezmeralda

Post by sezmeralda »

Okay, here it is:

~ $     inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: helium Kernel: 3.16.0-45-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z170 PRO GAMING version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 0231 date: 07/17/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6600K CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28019.6 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 3501.00 MHz 4: 3501.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 1912 bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: fbdev,intel (unloaded: vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@76.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 256 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel Device a170 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.16.0-45-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Device 15b8 bus-ID: 00:1f.6
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (4.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: KINGSTON_SV300S3 size: 120.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 5.2G (28%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 55G used: 171M (1%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 17.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 176 Uptime: 1:09 Memory: 890.3/7873.4MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You have a very new machine, therefore you probably need the newer drivers in the 3.19 kernel.

So install the latest kernel in the 3.19 series, like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates
(item 3, right column)

Afterwards, reboot your computer.

Does that help?
sezmeralda

Post by sezmeralda »

So install the latest kernel in the 3.19 series, like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates
(item 3, right column)

Afterwards, reboot your computer.

Does that help?
.. Yes and no. After installing kernel 3.19.0-25 and rebooting a got a black screen, it appears to go black after the LM logo comes up. I rebooted again, this time with the 3.16.0-45 kernel, and I have, for the first time on this computer, resolution options (it defaulted to 1920x1080.)
The Display window still doesn't let me change the rotation of the screen, and I am still running in software rendering mode.

[EDIT]: I tried 3.19.0-23 as well, same issue as 3.19.0-25.
sezmeralda

Post by sezmeralda »

Strange...
When I removed the two 3.19 kernels and let the computer automatically boot into the 3.16.0-45 the low-resolution problem came back.
So I reinstalled the 3.19.0-25 kernel (same black screen after LM logo on reboot), but when I choose the 3.16.0-45 kernel I get my desired 1980x1080 resolution.

I am still running in software rendering mode throughout.
sezmeralda

Post by sezmeralda »

Should I accept the state I'm in and go find out how to make my grub menu default to visible during boot?
Or is there another way to get my computer to default to a kernel which is not the latest one available?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

In the meantime, an even newer kernel has become available: the 3.19.0-26. You might give that one a try, as well.....

If that doesn't help, you might bite the bullet and install a 4.x kernel by means of the PPA of the Canonical Kernel Team:
https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel ... ubuntu/ppa
sezmeralda

Post by sezmeralda »

Pjotr wrote:In the meantime, an even newer kernel has become available: the 3.19.0-26. You might give that one a try, as well.....
If that doesn't help, you might bite the bullet and install a 4.x kernel by means of the PPA of the Canonical Kernel Team:
https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel ... ubuntu/ppa
1. Installing the 3.19.0-26 didn't work, but 3.19.0-27 has made good progress!! - I have full resolution options, screen rotation options and detect displays recognises I have a samsung monitor instead of calling it the generic title of 'laptop.' (I also have audio, which I was going to tackle next but now I don't have to.

2. I still have software rendering mode notices whenever I boot the computer. Should this now be moved to another thread? Or is it a matter of waiting for another kernel update?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

sezmeralda wrote:1. Installing the 3.19.0-26 didn't work, but 3.19.0-27 has made good progress!! - I have full resolution options, screen rotation options and detect displays recognises I have a samsung monitor instead of calling it the generic title of 'laptop.' (I also have audio, which I was going to tackle next but now I don't have to.

2. I still have software rendering mode notices whenever I boot the computer. Should this now be moved to another thread? Or is it a matter of waiting for another kernel update?
Good that there's some important progress! :)

As to the final issue: yes, I think you'll have to wait for an even newer kernel for that. In the meantime you can do the following:
- switch to the graphically much less demanding Xfce desktop;
- regularly check the support section of the ASUS website for updates for the BIOS / UEFI of your motherboard. Whenever such an update becomes available, install it.
sezmeralda

Post by sezmeralda »

Awesome, thanks for all your help Pjotr. Since the kernel is clearly the issue I'll mark this as solved [if I can work out how] & keep an eye out for updates to both the kernel and the BIOS/UEFI. I really appreciate your time.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

sezmeralda wrote:I still have software rendering mode notices whenever I boot the computer.
Would you post the contents of the Xorg.0.log file. Use this command to open it:

gedit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Press Ctrl+A to select the entire file contents. Right click on the screen and select “Copy”. Don't save it to a file. Open the Mint Forum reply window and select
Code” in the menu. Paste the copied lines between the two code words.

If you have problems posting that long file, then upload it to pastebin.com by using this command:

pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Post the URL link that displays in the Terminal window.
sezmeralda

Software Rendering mode

Post by sezmeralda »

Robim - I am really sorry to have missed your reply, are you still willing to help?
I have asked the software rendering questions (and provided the log output) here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9#p1093675

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”