Upgrading xorg needed for new graphic cards?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
__taori__

Upgrading xorg needed for new graphic cards?

Post by __taori__ »

This is a general question, I'd like to understand how new graphic card support is added in linux mint.

I am running mint 17.2 and I've checked my xorg version: xorg (1:7.7+1ubuntu8.1). That version correspond to ubuntu 14.04 trusty and it makes sense as Linux mint decided (since version 17) to not follow Ubuntu but to update the base system less frequently instead (I forgot how frequently).

Out of curiosity, how can new graphic card support be added to linux mint if xorg (and mesa and related libraries) are not updated at new linux mint release? I can see the kernel can be easily upgraded but is that enough for a new graphic card support?

Edit:By the way, is that possible to upgrade xorg? I can see packages like xorg-*-vivid or xorg-*-utopic etc

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kingdomnerdia

Re: Upgrading xorg needed for new graphic cards?

Post by kingdomnerdia »

Echoing this. I'm trying to run Dota 2 from a newly-upgraded linuxmint 17.2 system, and Dota 2 will not run on a version of Mesa older than 10.3. I can manually install the packages for a newer version of Ubuntu (Vivid, for example), but this breaks my graphics drivers. Is there a safer way to update Mesa/xorg?
__taori__

Re: Upgrading xorg needed for new graphic cards?

Post by __taori__ »

The answer to my original question is LTS Enablement Stacks: The Ubuntu LTS enablement stacks provide newer kernel and X support for existing LTS releases. See here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”