Impossible to install nVidia drivers, 'X' server always on

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Monok

Impossible to install nVidia drivers, 'X' server always on

Post by Monok »

I need to install the latest nVidia drivers of my nVidia GeForce GTX 960M to support the Folding@Home project, so I can fold not only with my CPU, but even with my GPU, but...I can't do it. Everytime I try to install it the 'X' server blocks the installation because, while it's on, it can't permit the installation. I get the common error, saying that I probably need to shut it down first, and if I believe I've already shut it down, I just need to relax and reboot, and everything will work after that: it doesn't. It never worked.

I come here after lot of googling and help from the F@H forum support, and I already tried to install the drivers from the tty (both CTRL + Alt + F1 and CTRL + Alt + F3), then 'sudo service mdm stop' (I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon, latest edition and stuff, 64 bit), cd'd to the location of the drivers, 'sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-*.run', and the installation starts, BUT...still, the 'X' server is online...

Also, another friendly guy told me that I could start Linux bypassing the whole GUI, and letting it be booted into Command-line using the GRUB menu interface, pressing 'e', changing 'quiet splash' to 'text', pressing CTRL + X to let the boot go, but...once again...'X' server was on, installation failed.

Any idea how to solve this? I've never encountered so many troubles installing drivers in my whole life, also this is my very first time installing drivers on Linux, and I found it hard, really hard...but in a good way. I guess I can say it's challenging, not boring!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Impossible to install nVidia drivers, 'X' server always

Post by jimallyn »

Are the drivers you want not available in the Driver Manager?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

As jimallyn says. In most cases it's as simple as launching Driver Manager from the menu, and installing the Nvidia driver it offers you. No need for manual downloads and manual installs.

If the answer to jimallyn's question is "no", then try the safe and reliable graphics-drivers PPA, like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... rivers-PPA
(item 1, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Monok

Post by Monok »

No, they aren't. Also, the F@H software NEEDS them to be installed that way. I don't know why, I think it's something 'Cuda' related, but every single user installed them via command-line, text, and stuff, since installing them via Driver Manager resulted in a useless waste of time for everyone, and most of the times even caused troubles on the software.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Do you have a "single" user boot option? (IIRC, it might be called something else...Edit: "grub" might call it something else!)

If not:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... ingle.html

Normal grub.cfg boot entry:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Mint 17   sda1  4.2.0-18 ' {
    root=(hd0,1)
    linux      /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-18-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro
    initrd  /boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-18-generic
}
Single user entry:

menuentry 'Mint 17   SINGLE sda1  4.2.0-18 ' {
    root=(hd0,1)
    linux      /boot/vmlinuz-4.2.0-18-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro  single
    initrd  /boot/initrd.img-4.2.0-18-generic
}
It boots to a login prompt (login as root) without "X" running.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
VanBantam

Post by VanBantam »

I've had the same problem installing the drivers for my T420s, not as mighty of a graphics card as yours but the same aggravation. What I've gathered is that there are three ways to install the drivers for a linux mint system. Indeed my situation is a bit different in that I have NVIDIA Optimus to contend with but I think what I've learned is still germane.

1) Kill X and install from the command line. This is the method describe in NVIDIA's documentation. There are many resources that describe how to go into grub and change from "quite splash" to "text". I personally have had little success with this method. I successfully edit grub and boot to the terminal but for some reason I fail the NVIDIA pre-installation script. I continue on with the installation but it is not successful. I loose graphics and end up reinstalling linux mint. I personally do not recommend this method because there are other methods that will work.

2) Add the NVIDIA ppa. This method kind of works for me. It works in that I can install nvidia-352 driver and nvidia settings without killing X however I can't update to the latest CUDA driver. If you're trying to GPU computations with a program such as MATLAB this is a problem. If you're just trying to update your graphics driver it would appear that this method would work fine with the added bonus of not having to edit your grub file nor going through other machinations for booting to the command line.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... untu-1404/
The bottom of the linked page has the relevant commands which are...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-352 nvidia-settings
3) Download the debian files directly from NVIDIA. This is not the NVIDIA support page. This is the method I used. I downloaded the latest files of what I needed and checked to see if MatLab would recognize my GPU. I know it's not a very elegant solution however it is one that provides the most control, IMHO, as to what is being installed with the least amount of fuss. Just download the file and install it using the gui software manager in mint. Note the link is for ubuntu 1404 which is what mint is closely related to, so I've read/been told. Anyways works for me.
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/co ... 04/x86_64/

Best of Luck
kritischer

Re: Impossible to install nVidia drivers, 'X' server always on

Post by kritischer »

Wow so this is still a problem on Linux Mint 18 then. I tried getting the nvidia driver working almost a year ago but had to give up. It seems like some of you are making headway though. There is actually a ton of info on this topic but honestly I'm not sure what is most current or relevant. Is killing X and installing the nvidia driver the best way or will the Driver Manager work? I'm reading mixed info. Also... which driver should I try? It's confusing to see 304, 358, 364, 367, 370,... 375.

Im running Mint 18 x64 with kernel version 4.4.0-21 on a Lenovo T420s that has the NVS4200M video chip.

I'm not in a position where I can download and install another copy of Mint if I screw up and I'm not sure I know how to revert the setting properly if something goes wrong so I'm holding off until I can feel more confident about which driver and procedure to try.

How have you all made out with this?
MintBean

Re: Impossible to install nVidia drivers, 'X' server always on

Post by MintBean »

What happens if you just use a standard terminal (without going into tty) and issue the stop command?
sudo service mdm stop

The enter a tty (ctrl+alt+f1), log in and see if you can install. Restart mdm from the tty.

I wonder how the installer determines if the x server is running? Maybe it returns a false positive in Mint.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”