Toshiba Portege 4010

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrHu

Re: Toshiba Portege 4010

Post by DrHu »

olias58 wrote:I spent most of the night looking for a generic xorg, and tried dpkg-reconfigure -p<high|medium|low> xserver-org with no luck.
Prefix the commands you use with sudo to allow writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf file area
--a system file area that is not writable by a user

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/
  • On the internet, you can find the Linux directory (folder ) structure including a .jpeg image of it, but I don't have time to find it..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Is this link like your laptop and are the specs close if so?

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba ... 61097.html
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Just make sure in the BIOS that video sharing is set to it's highest possible (32,64mb ?). I think it's that Trident card in there, not sure how well supported they are in Linux, seem to see some with issues. Not sure if it would run graphics more consistent on VESA, don't know if you'd like those graphics.

I'd be interested to see the content of your xorg file though.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

1) BIOS is accessed during initial boot up (usually F2), you should see text flash by when you start the computer, this is BIOS (Bianary Operating System)which is the low level OS that can drive your board and drives.

2) Double click on the "computer" icon on your desktop this opens the file browser, then follow the path given (/etc/x-11/xorg.conf)
This translates to find the etc folder first and double click, then find X-11 and double click, now find the xorg.conf file in that window.

3) VESA mode graphics have reduced performance and reduced resolution capabilities.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”