Toshiba Portege 4010

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Toshiba Portege 4010

Postby olias58 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:32 pm

I have switched from fedora to mint and liked it so much I convinced my wife to switch from windows to mint 7.
Last night I finished the install and had the problem I was expecting with the display being reduced to about half the screen size. I had corrected this with ubuntu before by making changes in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. So I tried that with her machine, logged off and logged back in, and the full size screen appeared. I gave her the laptop, she was very happy, worked for a while and then shutdown. When the laptop was powered up the small display was back and my changes were gone.

I spent most of the night looking for a generic xorg, and tried dpkg-reconfigure -p<high|medium|low> xserver-org with no luck.

Anyway I am open to suggestions, she is not happy with me and since we are both going to school, the small display just makes writing papers so much harder.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
olias58
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Toshiba Portege 4010

Postby DrHu on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:51 pm

olias58 wrote:I spent most of the night looking for a generic xorg, and tried dpkg-reconfigure -p<high|medium|low> xserver-org with no luck.

Prefix the commands you use with sudo to allow writing to /etc/X11/xorg.conf file area
--a system file area that is not writable by a user

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/
    On the internet, you can find the Linux directory (folder ) structure including a .jpeg image of it, but I don't have time to find it..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby olias58 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 am

I am aware that using sudo is necessary, to edit the file I entered sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
olias58
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zferis on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi there from a supergnoobie. I am having the EXACT same issue as posted above by olias58 on the exact same machine - a Toshiba Portege 4010. I was going to post a question just now to the noob page for non-stupid questions, when I saw that it was already being asked here. I am overjoyed to see that I am not alone, but scared as hell of all the sudo language stuff being used. I have no idea where to even enter such commands/language since I'm brand new. For now, if anyone has ideas for olias58, please know that I am eagerly lurking for a knowledgeable reply too...and trying to figure out what the hell sudo rgedit etc means. Thanks!
zferis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zferis on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi DrHu and Olias,
Has anyone made any progress in thinking about a solution to this issue? I'm still having the problem, and am uncertain where to begin.

Thanks!
zferis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MaddogF16 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Is this link like your laptop and are the specs close if so?

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba ... 61097.html
MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Postby zferis on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks for your reply, MaddogF16! I can't speak for Olias, but for me, yes, I can confirm that the link you provided is for my laptop - except that I have upgraded the original ram to 512MB and installed a DVD-Rom. Does this confirmation help?
zferis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MaddogF16 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Just make sure in the BIOS that video sharing is set to it's highest possible (32,64mb ?). I think it's that Trident card in there, not sure how well supported they are in Linux, seem to see some with issues. Not sure if it would run graphics more consistent on VESA, don't know if you'd like those graphics.

I'd be interested to see the content of your xorg file though.
MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Postby zferis on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:18 am

Thanks again, MaddogF16. I'm afraid I don't know how to do these things on a Linux OS. Any chance you can help me figure it out? Or perhaps give me a shove in the right direction? Thanks!

1) "make sure in the BIOS that video sharing is set to it's highest possible (32,64mb ?)"
-How do I get to the BIOS to ascertain this?

2) "I'd be interested to see the content of your xorg file"
-Happy to share it with you, but I don't know how to get it. I searched for xorg in the forums, but only 4 results and none are clear to me.

"Not sure if it would run graphics more consistent on VESA, don't know if you'd like those graphics." I'm not sure what VESA is, but I'll look into it.
zferis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MaddogF16 on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:43 pm

1) BIOS is accessed during initial boot up (usually F2), you should see text flash by when you start the computer, this is BIOS (Bianary Operating System)which is the low level OS that can drive your board and drives.

2) Double click on the "computer" icon on your desktop this opens the file browser, then follow the path given (/etc/x-11/xorg.conf)
This translates to find the etc folder first and double click, then find X-11 and double click, now find the xorg.conf file in that window.

3) VESA mode graphics have reduced performance and reduced resolution capabilities.
MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Postby zferis on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks again for this help, MaddogF16! I really appreciate your patience.

1) The BIOS was a bit challenging to access because everything moves so fast at startup (quite different from XP, haha!) I came to what I can only describe as a table or grid of various modes associated with the graphics. I chose the highest VGA setting I saw in there. Note, I also saw the VESA modes in there too, but opted to try VGA first. There was a lot of fast text onscreen after I set that and hit enter. I might need to get it on video. Perhaps that would help?

2) I accessed the .org.conf file, and opened using Text Editor. Here are the complete contents of the file:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "False"
EndSection

I hope this helps, Maddog. Would love to hear your feedback. Thanks again!
Best,
zferis
zferis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Graphic Cards & Monitors