[Solved]Specifying main monitor with extended desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pinhead

[Solved]Specifying main monitor with extended desktop

Post by Pinhead »

Hey, I feel like I've looked all over, and for every thread on the net about problems with monitors and graphics cards in Linux do not quite fit my situation, so I felt I had to start a new thread. I just installed Linux Mint 8, and so far I'm very impressed. I've been continuously installing Ubuntu releases and each time something has not worked, and without a solution in sight. Now though, I might get everything to work if I just get some help with a couple of things!

Anyway, I have a problem specifying which monitor is to be my primary monitor. I have a Radeon 4870 GFX card, a 22" HP PC monitor and a 37" Samsung flat screen. They are both connected through using DVI ports, with HDMI in the other end. When I go into the display settings I uncheck the "mirror" function, since my flat screen should run at 1360x768, and my monitor should run at 1680x1050. Opting for an extended desktop with these screens at different resolutions works great. The only problem is that my flat screen is set as the primary display, so all the different panels and stuff are there, while my PC monitor is empty save for the desktop background. Obviously, I want to switch this around so that my PC monitor is the main monitor. Everything has been updated, and I am using the proprietary drivers from ATI.

I'm completely (mint) green when it comes to Linux, so at this point I don't always "get" what I'm doing, so I'm usually reduced to checking forums and looking for similar issues people are having, but I don't really have the imagination to fix my own more unique problems. Regardless, I was peeking about in the xorg.conf, but as I understand it, ATI cards don't use that file directly or something, which makes sense because whatever settings can be found there don't really match up with the setting I use now. I was hoping to just use the ATI CCC, but for some reason, I can only open the regular CCC, and I need to open the CCC using administrator privileges, and that icon doesn't work in the Mint menu. I've been trying to find some Terminal command to open it using administrator privileges that way, but I can't figure that out either.

I'll post the contents of xorg.conf just in case I misunderstood something, but I'm fairly sure it's not being used for some reason.

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Virtual 3040 1050
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Driver "fglrx"
EndSection

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pinhead

Re: [Solved]Specifying main monitor with extended desktop

Post by Pinhead »

Well, I don't need help any more. I just ended up switching the ports the screens were connected to.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”